Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made me chuckle

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."

Made me chuckle

I saw this at work last night, chuckled, and snapped a pic.

Good thing we know where our priorities lie...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Quote Originally Posted by snarkballz
    Fed-Ex it is.
    huh?

Hi, #201

I understand that, the picture shows a (Liebert?) UPS? well UPS = "United Parcel Service (of America Inc.)" and one of their larger competitors would be Federal Express (Fed-Ex)?

What is the large, scruffy thing to the left of the picture...... some sort of air-conditioning plant?...............should be the iced beer machine mate!

Our Health & Safety people would just love that wiring

Johhno-

An APC UPS... with a window box fan plugged into it.

But now I get the joke. A momentatry lapse of sanity. Not to worry; happens all the time.

Hah! now I get it............... it did look sort of familiar, but only from old American movies

Our HSE (Health and Safety Executive) actually have "rules":

'An acceptable zone of thermal comfort for most people in the UK lies roughly between 13°C (56°F) and 30°C (86°F), with acceptable temperatures for more strenuous work activities concentrated towards the bottom end of the range, and more sedentary activities towards the higher end.'
    And they would go ballistic if they saw that wiring

Its strange, in the UK there are laws about how cold it can be before you HAVE to have the day off, generally this only applies to outdoor workers but it can be indoor if the heating breaks. There aren't (last I looked) any laws about getting time off because it is too hot. Perhaps no-one believes it can get that hot in this country? :P

When I was working on the Blackpool Trams we discussed it a few times. Height of summer, there we are wearing what was basically a school uniform carrying surprisingly heavy amounts of coin up and down stairs inside something that can only be described as an electric greenhouse with wheels. Fun.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

The Offices, Shops & Railway Premises Act (1963) requires that the temperature reaches 16C (60.8F) after the first hour.

There is no maximum temperature, but there is a requirement for the employer to provide a comfortable working environment.

The regulations are somewhat clouded by "practicability", so if you work in a bakery or a coldstore or a delicatessen then the temperature rules won't apply.

Actually there are no regulations covering outside workers other than that the employer must provide suitable protective clothing for the job. Obviously weather conditions can make some jobs impracticable and this is an industry standard...........it would only become a statutory matter when health and safety were involved.

are you guys serious that you can get the day off if its too cold?? and this is a law?

yeah, but as nihil points out - it can be 40 degrees below outside so long as the building is heated.

I guess if you work outside and it gets too hot you just work slower. I would also guess that a tram counts as "outside". Bet you it also counts as an enclosed public place for the smoking ban though. Stupid mismatched laws.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Hi Aard~,

The problem with a tram (or a No14 bus ) is that they are mobile? They are "an enclosed public place" but they are not covered by the legislation, which is to do with static buildings.

This could result in a driver being forced to work, whilst his office colleagues were allowed to go home.