Thread: Apple release beta 3 of safari browser for windows.

Arrow Apple release beta 3 of safari browser for windows.

Apple have released a public beta of their Safari browser for Windows, thanks IntelInside. The fastest web browser on any platform, Safari loads pages up to 2 times faster than Internet Explorer 7 and up to 1.6 times faster than Firefox 2. Unfortunately there seem to be some security concerns about it.

I'm currently downloading the installer, just curious as to know if any other members are using or have tried the safari browser on windows yet? And if you have then what did you think of it?

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by t34b4g5
    Unfortunately there seem to be some security concerns about it.
    These seem fixed now.
    http://lists.apple.com/archives/Secu.../msg00000.html
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Its on my todo list. I know a lot of people do like safari. If nothing else, its a good idea to have it just to check my web work displays correctly in it.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Banned
    I just tried installing it on Vista (Home Premium), and I keep getting a "The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package.
    The error code is 2738."
    error message.

I'm gonna try it out too, but now i was lookin for all kind of alternative browsers online andfound a list

http://browsers.evolt.org/

if anybody finds some interesting ones on there post the name i'm curios what they all do but dont have time to test them all right now, gotta go to work...

"i know they're not all up to date...."
    O.G at A.O

Using it now... Immediate thoughts are that I don't like that RSS is enabled by default. It was very slow when I first started it, and was using almost 90mb of ram for the first five minutes(firefox was at 60, IE was at 32). Went searching through the options and saw that it is pulling RSS from about 8 different sites. disabled.

I also don't like the borderless window. I'm used to that on OSX, but when everything else looks like XP with themes turned off safari looks out of place not following the windows standard. I'll have to mess around with the visual settings as I'm sure I can get it to be a little bit better.

And the private browsing is useless. I like that in firefox I can completely configure what gets cleared. For instance you have the options of browsing history, download history, save form information, cache, cookies, saves passwords, authenticated sessions. Looks like in safari you can do the following on different screens, clear cookies, clear history, empty cache, or enable private mode. Private mode just keeps it from remembering anything while in that mode. Close the browser and it goes out of private mode, starts collecting data again. I also didn't see a way to clear the autocomplete, or a way to do a complete browser privacy wipe.

Fonts in general look much better than firefox. If I can get use to how out of place it looks on a windows machine I might continue to use it. Not noticing a major speed difference between this and firefox just yet.

I also noticed that it doesn't honor the scrolling of my touchpad. All of my other windows will scroll when I center click and move my eraser pad up or down. Safari doesn't, that is kind of annoying. Really seems like an OSX port where they did everything possible not to make it respond or work how a windows app should look and respond. If I wanted to use MacOS X apps I'd run OS X. I don't see myself using it much more. Firefox 2 is better.

I quite like it. I have noticed it running faster than firefox/ie. From a work point of view it has one thing I like a lot better than firefox - it listens to some of the group policies. Proxy is set the way we want it to on the network and the change settings button is disabled. However, it won't let us control the home page.

Down sides include the lack of a "homepage" button, or is it just hiding from me?

I find that safari is using only a tiny ammount of memory, nowhere near 90Mb and in fact less than IE for the same webpage.

Once it gets out of beta and has had some use, I might consider deploying it on the network.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

It's not using group policy. It is using your proxy settings from IE, and you can't change that, so that is why it appears that the proxy settings are "disabled."

I don't have a GPO that prohibits me from changing my proxy settings, and it is greyed out on my machine. If I go into IE, and delete my proxy settings, safari breaks.

I like to be able to configure proxy settings per browser, kind of stupid that safari is piggy backing off of IE settings. Hopefully this is just something that exists in the beta.

Actually looks like it will stay this way.

Link to proxy settings from Safari (Safari respects the proxy settings in the Windows Internet control panel)
    So I guess it is using GPO indirectly. I would still like the ability to configure that inside of safari. Which is typical of Apple products. They give you one way to do it without any options of doing it another way. Some people like that.
    Last edited by mohaughn; June 15th, 2007 at 04:13 PM.

well, like I say - for deployment on a network that suits me fine. It would be nice if it would play with group policy though. Even for home use, aquiring proxy from the existing setup suits me. What I will say is that although it is definately faster at drawing the page than IE or Firefox, I do seem to notice a longer delay before it starts drawing the page.

Oh, and it doesn't play with the back/forward buttons on my mouse.
    Last edited by Aardpsymon; June 15th, 2007 at 10:05 PM.