Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: free avg and zone alarm

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Zone Alarm, has given me nothing as troubles in the past, on win 2k machines it crashes the box, it slows down applications, and some versions of zone alarm are not completly secure cause they load into the OS after initialisation of a lot of other programs.

Best firewall is a hardware one on network level, just use a personal firewall like sygate or zonealarm (the last one not recommended from my side) for permitting applications to 'go out' without you knowing it.

Virusscanners: avg is very good.
    The commercial protection suites from Norton and McAfee are resources hungry. Allthough the professional McAfee shield is a very sleek and fast program doing its work very nice without crashing or other troubles.

Hi Victor,

The startup of Zone Alarm does seem to be a potential problem. I have noticed that the internet connection could be started before it loaded?

I have it running on several machines under Windows 2000 and have not encountered any problems with incompatibility though.

I am using AVG and zonealaram since last 3-4 years with no problem whatsoever , but i think that even if you have best of products installed, you should be careful.
    It\'s all about sense of power.

I think Thats true. That happened to me also.Norton Antivirus took a large pardt of my memory And to rid it. Now i also use AVG its okay and Never lets anything into my machine.It is also faster and doesnt take up memory.

For XP i like avast better - anything older for a free A/V i put on AVG.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by VictorKaum
    Zone Alarm, has given me nothing as troubles in the past, on win 2k machines it crashes the box, it slows down applications, and some versions of zone alarm are not completly secure cause they load into the OS after initialisation of a lot of other programs.

Best firewall is a hardware one on network level, just use a personal firewall like sygate or zonealarm (the last one not recommended from my side) for permitting applications to 'go out' without you knowing it.
    I agree. I don't like Zone Alarm, and I love(d) Sygate, but it's been "shut down" by Symantec. I guess it was too good for Symantec to let them exist...
    However I now got Vista on my computer and I can not make old Sygate run on it!
    Anyone out there that was in the same situation as me, and if so, did you find a comparable good free software firewall, with the same expert mode or better as Sygate? I just want a pure free software firewall, nothing else included.

TIA!

for free I would go with avast (disable the guys voice/sound options i hate that). If you gotta pay nod32. As they say Swift. Nimbe. Relentless.
    meh. -ech0.

Hi SawPer,

You might like to take a look at Jetico?

http://www.jetico.com/jpf2.htm

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Hi SawPer,

You might like to take a look at Jetico?

http://www.jetico.com/jpf2.htm

Nihil,

It looks really promising! Will give it a try!
    Many thanks!

Edit:

Ouch, the free one doesn't have Vista support!
    That was too bad, looked really good...

Any other suggestions on free Vista supported expert mode software firewalls?
    Last edited by SawPer; July 4th, 2007 at 07:22 PM.