AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

recommend wireless router!

Hello fellow members of AO. Quick question, what is the best wireless
    router out there in your opinion for under a 100 bucks? I am suppose to
    install a wireless network inside a doctors office and I would like to
    know which one would be the easiest to install hassle free. Also, with
    security which I will setup and configure myself. Anyways, I tried to
    install a wireless router *Linksys WRT54G v.5* wasnt able to get it up and
    running at doctors office. (old thead is out their on this)
    However, I was able to install it at my house and IM currently using it now
    So, can anyone recommend a wireless router that is good,secure, and easy to
    setup and configure? PS I wont buy linksys again (at leats for this
    project, that is).

Their are two desktop computers in the office and one wireless notebook.
    Only one desktop is able to get online the other one cannot. So I need to
    get that one online and
    ALSO,

The doctor wants to be able to sit in his office (in the back about 75 feet
    away) and be able to print to the printer in the front office. The other
    doctor office is configured like this. So he wants this one the same. All
    help is greatly appreciated, cn22

well, I've been using a netgear DG834G for two or three years now, never had a single problem with it. Has a firewall built in, configuration was no problem. Supports WPA. Newer models probably support a lot better. Had two pcs and two laptops running wireless and a laser printer wired in before no problems.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

What's wrong with linksys? I have a linksys wireless router attached to my wired speedtouch router to provide a wireless connection for the lapto and my phone etc, and it's working perfectly

LOL at kind of weird centering of post
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Banned
    I've been running the WRT54G 24/7 for over 3 years now, and never had a problem with it. The most common advice I come across when reading reviews is to - for now - stay away from 802.11n (in stead, go with 802.11b/g). The wireless notebook he already has is more than likely 802.11b/g (and not 802.11n) anyway, so sticking with 802.11b/g is probably your only option.

To get a desktop online wirelessly, the simplest option (I'm assuming here that it doesn't already have a wireless card) is probably one of those USB adapters (something like this - around $40).

As for the printer: the easiest solution pretty much depends on what kind of printer it is. If it's a network printer, it'll have an Ethernet port (or if you're even luckier, it might have a wireless card built in), and you can simply plug it into the wireless router. If it's not (most "home" printers are not), you'll need to find another solution - the HP Wireless Printing Upgrade Kit for example, which sells for around $100.

If the $100 limit is for just the router, you're set (you can buy 2-3 routers for that price); if it's for the entire set-up (router + getting that one desktop online + adding wifi print capabilities), I don't think that's possible for $100 (I figure $45 for a router, another $45 to get that desktop online, and around $100 for the printer)...

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Negative, I've also been using the Linksys WRT54G v.5 24/7 for over 1 year now myself at my house with out ever any problems with it either.
    However, when I try to install it in a 'business' like a doctors office it just wont work. WLAN OR LAN I tried hours upon hours for something that should have took 20 minutes top.

Heres the funny part at my girlfriends work the ---> doctors office <-- they have the SAME ISP embarq aswell as the same exact sprint (zxgel)645 modem.
    Only difference is, mine is version A. theirs is version b.
    Also, I have a residential account, they have a business account. Does it make a difference in configuration of the wireless router or modem if it is a business account? I tried everything that I knew to install the LINKSYS WRT54G V5 in the doctors office but it just wasnt working. I take it home and install it within 5 minutes and never had any problems with it since then. However for business networking it was a nightmare.

so I am assuming if I buy a new wireless router it should work with no problem or its a configuration of the network. Their network is setup static everything is assigned its own permnitet IP adddress for their networking?
    PS The two desktop computers have just linksys ethernet cards on them. The have a new alienware notebook they use for his software the printer they have is a network printer it has the ethernet card in the back where you can plug in the cat5 cable. Anyways, I was going to share the printer out the main system then share it out to all the computers on the lan and his notebook so he can sit in the back and get online wirelessly, and print his documents to the front office printer.

PS I don't want to buy a new wireless router then run into the same situation that wouldnt look to good. any suggestions, tips, all help is greatly appreciated.

Banned
    What kind of connection is Embarq (cable/dsl/T1...?). It could very well be that the business connection doesn't use DHCP - in that case, you'll need to know the assigned IP address (and with that information, setup the router. For the WRT54G, you'll need to go to Setup --> Basic Setup --> Internet Setup, then change the Internet Connection Type from the default "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" to "Static IP", then fill out the values).

What kind of connection is Embarq (cable/dsl/T1...?).
    Sorry about the late reply I just got off of work. Anyways, embarq uses ADSL they have a 5mb business account through them. BTW, what you stated about business accounts not using DHCP I think that might have been my problem.

When I go into the network properties they have it assigned as a static instead of dynamic thanks for the help.

Anything that works with DD-WRT :-) I personally have had a linksys die on me both router and modem so I stick with netgear usually. dlink is okay too i just dont like the interface.

Stay away from belkin and MS routers thats the bottom line they both are um ya..

It could very well be that the business connection doesn't use DHCP - in that case, you'll need to know the assigned IP address (and with that information, setup the router. For the WRT54G, you'll need to go to Setup --> Basic Setup --> Internet Setup, then change the Internet Connection Type from the default "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" to "Static IP", then fill out the values).
    I contacted Embarq an asked them if business accounts use or don't use DHCP. They stated "all are accounts use DHCP doesnt matter if its residential,consumer, buisness etc... they all use DHCP.
    Anything that works with DD-WRT :-) I personally have had a linksys die on me both router and modem
    I contacted Linksys tech support *as a last resort* even the Tech from Linksys told me to take it back to where I bought it from. Only problem with that it's past the 30 day policy.

I stick with netgear usually. dlink is okay too i just dont like the interface.
    Stay away from belkin and MS routers thats the bottom line they both are um ya..
    I never owned a Netgear product. But after reading reviews and different forums and such I bought A NETGEAR WIRELESS ROUTER Model #WPN824

Best part is the speed up to 108Mbps instead of the usual 54Mbps. Uses MIMO-G Also, double firewall, (NAT & SPI) D0S, IDS PREVENTION uses WEP 64 & 128
    aswell as WPA-PSK & WPA2-PSK <--one I will be using and tons of other options. For 85 bucks I think I did pretty good.

The main tech for the doctors who usually runs and maintains the network office actually suggested going to home depot and buying a 29.99 belkin router for the job. Of course, I did no such thing. Maybe for *home networking* if that, but for business networking, I wouldnt reply on a 30 dollar belkin for the job. haahha

Quick question, since the ISP uses DHCP for business accounts, but the office network is setup "STATIC" what would be the best way to do this?

Leave everything static or just change it all to dyanmic I would perfer just to use DHCP in wireless router.
    IM thinking of change everything to dynamic and have the DHCP in the wireless router take care of it.

all help is greatly appreciated.

I the same Linksys that negative and Moira have been it's been working fine for two years.