English Grammar Help

Thread: English Grammar Help

English Grammar Help

: State the following statements as True or False. Give reason in each case.

i) Sentence fragment makes complete sense though it’s punctuated wrongly.

ii) Agreement between subject and verb and between pronouns and their antecedents is important for paragraph coherence, as well as for style and grammar.

iii) Placement of modifiers does not interrupt the sentence structure and clarity.

iv) Parallelism makes comparison effective.

v) Ornate words make the document more attractive and comprehensive.

You expect homework help from us or something?

Go study...
    StreetsCrack.com Join The Best Music Social Network Online. Music downloads, promotions, forums, profile, games etc...

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    i) Sentences are only allowed as fragments in a bulleted list. Otherwise it is bad grammar to us a fragment.

ii) If you mix tenses, or plural/singular in your nouns, pronouns and verbs your sentences will not make sense to the reader or the reader will come away with a different message that the writer wanted to send.

iii) If you choose to use modifiers then they should not obscure the meaning.

iv) drawing parallels can be an effective comparism if the sentence is clear and the reader can sort out the parallel items.

v) Ornate and flowery terms may be good usage in literature but have no place in legal, business or technical documentation.

The purpose of writing is not to confuse or "bullshit" a reader. The writer must insure that the message is going to be interpreted by the target audience and write to that end. You are not communicating by putting your thoughts on paper. You haven't communicated until a reader has understood exactly what you wanted to convey. Closing the loop, the reader could reply.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

My dearest Imran,

Having just "dealt" with the West Indies, we shall now come and sort you lot out

Your questions would depend upon your "level" of English?

1. Sentence fragments................ I will say "true" I think that ddddc is spot on with his example of "bullet points". My view would be that these are incomplete sentences, such as one finds in instruction manuals?

Agreement between subject and verb and between pronouns and their antecedents is important for paragraph coherence, as well as for style and grammar.
    Very "true" in my opinion. A sentence consists of a subject, object and verb?..... hey, if you don't know who did what to whom..............?

As for pronouns......... these are generally "adjectival (descriptive) pronouns".......... they need to be precedent, and to the point. ....... "a scrofulous politician, as corrupt as the core of your average medlar"

3. Placement of modifiers does not interrupt the sentence structure and clarity.

I am typing this in the middle of a thunderstorm......OK, I do have a couple of other modems if I take a hit

"false".............they certainly do. If you have a modifier it MUST be adjacent to that which you wish to modify..............

drawing parallels can be an effective comparism (comparison?) if the sentence is clear and the reader can sort out the parallel items.
    "correct"

Like all linguistic methodologies, parallelism has to be used correctly. The use of mixed metaphors, "Spoonerisms" and the like, come to mind, as examples of incorrect methodologies.

Ornate words make the document more attractive and comprehensive.
    Please pray for me on Friday...... GMT time I have an interview for a "big one"

There is an expression "bullshit baffles brains"......... I have to admit that I have submitted very "ornate" documents to get budget approval

Hope that helps