Windows ... the greatest BUG ever??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows ... the greatest BUG ever??

Thumbs down Windows ... the greatest BUG ever??

Well, I opened up a topic on AO and clicked on the "quote" button on the last reply and typed in my opinions (actually a question to be frank). It took me a complete 18 hours to post that reply. Guess why? Of course, the title says it all: The reason was Windows XP.... the greatest software BUG ever created by a company which is said to be the richest and the most enfluencial in the whole world, namely MICROSOFT.

I was not able to find out even a single clue as to why this happened! The only SIN I commited was to click on the "Quote" button in one of the AO's page. I trust AO more than the software says me to. After clicking the button, the OS hanged ( a regular problem most users would face on Windows). I waited for almost 10 minutes for the system to come back and do something. But then I realised that the mouse pointer (the arrow on the screen) has stopped responsding to the mouse displacements. After about two minutes, I turned off the power (as I always do on most hang conditions). I restared the machine and was surprised that upon the reboot, Windows did not allow me to do anything at all! It just shwed me the desktop. When I clicked on an Icon, that would be the last option if I clicked on the start menu, that would be the last action. In short, the first action wuld be the last action. I trie everything from the aplication reinstall in safe mode to a system restore and then ultimately tried to repair Windows installation and huh! nothing worked.

Upon calculation, I found out that I have reinstalled Windows XP more than 50 Times in last 2 years. Now thats a huge number. With hundreds of Hours wasted in instaliong drivers and other application only to see the light of the day for 1 month or so, Windows kills me!

All my software were fully updated. My antivirus (Avast 4.7) firewall (Kerio firewall) and Antispyware (Defender) were running and were up to date. I never open any suspicious sites and the system was all clean. There are just 5 programs that can access the internet (firefox, yahoo messenger, google Talk, IE (which I almost never use) and the update services of my antivirus).

I tried all that I could but failed. Ultimately, I had to boot from UBUNTU 7.04 CD, back up my docs and other data into USB ZIP drives and reinstall.

Now can anyone please tell me what could be the reason for such an abrupt corruption of the OS? What files would have been responsible and what can be done to it?

Now I have decided to buy a VMWare license and run Windows on top of Linux (well that enables me to get more OSes working too!) and then use my devices virtually. Would that be a nice Idea?

I also have seen on openSUSE site that version 5.5.3 of VMware workstation would cause some problems. So I have decided to get version 6 of VMware workstation (for Linux) which I hope due to its increased support will not throw away errors. Has someone here tested this piece of software onm openSUSE 10.2? And do I suppose to get help if something goes wrong?
    Last edited by jockey0109; June 19th, 2007 at 11:22 AM.
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

Just Another Geek
    Sounds more like a b0rk3d install to me..
    Can you boot to safe mode?

My laptop has been running XP for well over 2 years now. Not a single reinstall needed.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Might want to check this thread at the VMTN Forums: http://www.vmware.com/community/mess...ssageID=663907 in regards to Workstation 6 and OpenSUSE. The VMTN Forums are probably the best resource when it comes to support for VMware products, particularly the hosted variations.

Running virtual is always a nice idea, IMO. But I'm biased.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Quote Originally Posted by SirDice
    Sounds more like a b0rk3d install to me..
    Can you boot to safe mode?

My laptop has been running XP for well over 2 years now. Not a single reinstall needed.
    Well thats not something I would have not boasted about too. I too have run Windows for a long time, even not as much as you did. I ran Windows for 1 year without any problem. That very installation went into problem when I tried to install SuSE 9.1 on my machine and being a newbie, I accidently damaged my MBR.

As far as safe mode is concerned; Yes, I was able to boot into it. I tried everything from LOGS to policies and what not. Tried to check the system services of some new ones would have been installed or for a new entry in the "system startup" section at all points including the entries in the HKEY_USERS key in regitry. Nothing helped. As far as my small mind goes, the problem was not with the Windows XP core files but on the upper layers like SHELL32.DLL or so. I say so because I was able to launch programs from the CMD. I created a batch file to open notepad, MS word and Firefox and put it into the Startup folder in the start menu. When I booted back into normal mode, they all came up with their respective windows and were working fine.

The problems came up when I tried to interact "MANUALLY' with the "WINDOWS" (not some application's) interface.

One point though: I had installed Visa Transformation Pack. I know that this plays around with the SHELL32.DLL file. can that be a problem?

- Albert Einstein

There are machines in the room in front of me with 4 year old installs of windows. Even at the height of windows suckiness (win 98 with desktop enhancement) I never had to reinstall windows more often than a couple times a year, certainly never into the double digits. Is it a legal copy of windows? I ask because experience tells me that cracked software is rarely as stable as legitimate versions. How old are the hard drives? are they likely to be getting corrupt?
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Wow! 50 times in 2 years!? There has to be something abnormal with your setup. Maybe you have some hardware problems. I've run stable versions of m$'s OS for 6+ years. I *still* have versions of XP Pro that were installed when it was not even SP1 that are still running without problem. (They've all been kept up to date with patches and SPs and some regular maintenance.) I've run several stable 2000 Server installs for just as long too. I just recently replaced a 2000 Exchange environment after running it without significant problem for 6+ years. (ok, one hard drive failure about 1 year into the install... but restored from backup and it's been fine since.) Not to mention NT4... I'm not proud to say it, but I just replaced a NT file/print server that ran for about 10 years... The last 5 years of it's life were just for print serving... but still! I would go 1 or more years without a reboot because it was no longer being patched! lol Please don't confuse me with some m$ fanboy either. I use linux too. I've just been more or less *forced* to use m$ at work until recently. I've run linux for test systems and projects along with at home on laptops and computers for a while. I started with Redhat 6...
    Last edited by phishphreek; June 19th, 2007 at 01:03 PM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Dear phishphreek,

I forgot to tell you (or anyone else for that matter) that most of them were the result of my experiments with the system. However without any experiments I am not able to run Windows more than 4 months or so. I do understand the time when my own hands play with the system files. But I have faced this type of issues for more than 15 times. For almost 10 other times the reinstalls were because of a HUGE amount of software install-uninstalls which made the OS so slow that it became a PAIN to work with it... so the reinstallation was needed.

If we leave all those MANUAL occasions, what happened for around 15 times when Windows went whoooosshhh!! without giving any hint? I am not n IT professional, just a student. I do not have much resources to track down things using specialized costly software. I am not able to figure out the rest of the occasions when that happened.

This is a time when I think I understand much about Windows NT systems than normal (except the networking Issues) users. I tried each and everything that I could think of or have read sometime on a forum on net. But nothing helped.

This is the reason I call Windows a BUG in itself. I did nothing wrong. No HUGE softwares and it was a freshly installed system just 25 days old! Installed all updates and still... and that too for a silly apparant reason of clicking a "quote" button!?

EDIT: Frankly, windows copy is not legitimate. However Microsoft calls it genuine for the reason of the CD key. The CD itself was copied from an Original one. This is the same CD whose installation has served me almost an year without problems. There are two hard drives: one is 3 years old and the other is 1.5 years old. The OS is installed on the newer one. I Use the old one only for media file and to install the Linux system where I do not put any imp. data.
    Last edited by jockey0109; June 19th, 2007 at 01:15 PM.

- Albert Einstein

ah, but software installs/uninstalls leaving stuff behind is a fault with the software not windows. Windows just breaking 15 times without warning is very unusual. We have had that occur 3 times that I can remember on a network of 200 machines.

As for expensive software, adaware, spybot and ccleaner are all free to use and will do wonders for cleaning up installs and other nasties. (www.filehippo.com)
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Aardpsymon
    ah, but software installs/uninstalls leaving stuff behind is a fault with the software not windows. Windows just breaking 15 times without warning is very unusual. We have had that occur 3 times that I can remember on a network of 200 machines.

As for expensive software, adaware, spybot and ccleaner are all free to use and will do wonders for cleaning up installs and other nasties. (www.filehippo.com)
    Oh brother, I use them all. As far as legitimate copy is concerned, well, I have used it for the "free period without registration" on the same system also and that installation lasted for about 35 days. And even after using all those temp file cleaners, defragmenters, antiadwares and antispywares, Nothing happens. What could be the reason? I never change things in the registry or other system files I am not sure about (Now I do that on VMware Virtual Machines).

- Albert Einstein

Hmmmm,

Are we talking about clean installs here?..............like reformatting as well?

Three things come to mind:

1. A slightly damaged CD and/or dirty CD drive causing corrupted installations

2. Windows Defender not playing nice with something?

3. The Kerio firewall has become corrupted? You might try uninstalling it and using the free edition of Zone Alarm as a fault finding exercise?