Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visual Studio 2005 and Vista problem

Visual Studio 2005 and Vista problem

Has anyone encountered any incompatibilities between VS 2005 and Vista? I would have expected the two programs to be extremely compatible, but - well, that's Vista for you . I did get a notification of some incompatibility when I first used VS with Vista here, but it seemed to work OK. Lately however, after a few minutes it causes my screen to go black, and this just gets worse until I'm forced to close the program through task manager.

It doesn't seem to be particularly worse whether I'm running a program or writing one, though I suppose as I use it I'll debug etc and it just seems to get worse from them on until it's completely unusable. I know the next step is probably to uninstall/reinstall, but I wondered if this had happened to anyone else and if there was something out there I'm overlooking.

I have to admit I haven't got round to installing it in the Vista partition of my laptop yet, so don't know if the problem would be recreated there - another thing I could try. All I know is I never have this problem using it in XP.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Hi Moira,

Has anyone encountered any incompatibilities between VS 2005 and Vista?
    Has anyone encountered any compatibilities between Vista and anything?

It may be totally irrelevant, but I have seen a couple of apparently unrelated funnies involving v.2 and v.3 installations of .NET, perhaps it is not an OS vs application thing, but there is an evil MITM? I recall something similar with versions of MDACS a few years ago.............. took me quite a while to figure that it was the culprit. I won't claim that my workaround was elegant.........it wasn't, but it did work!

Make sure that .NET is up to date, even if you don't consciously use it. Something you do use just might be............ toss in a new OS and you will have a real menage a trois............ quelle marmelade!............. or something like that?

Moira, they really are out to get us; but Billy Gates doesn't know that I have the Worldwide patents on "make the user reboot on every typo technology (MURETT)"............ his BSODs are so passe these days are they not?

Seriously though, what you are describing suggests that you have something not at the right version? a bit like runtime versions, installer versions and suchlike?

Perhaps that's the sort of thing that your warning was about?

I'm sure what I'm describing isn't the warning that the program gave when I first installed it with Vista, but I'm clutching at straws here. Yeah, I could see if it would update, in fact there was I'm sure an update it tried to perform when I first installed it, but didn't succeed. However, you'd think that even without the latest update, it shouldn't cause this problem.

What I'm going to do is install it now onto the laptop and see if I get the same thing. Either way it might be a good idea to reinstall it here - can't do any harm and it might succeed in installing updates because it automatically tries to update the program after it installs. The strange thing is that it was perfectly OK until recently - this hasn't always been a problem since using it with Vista.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Hi Moira,

Yes it would be useful if you could reinstall, or do another install in a similar environment. Please make a note of any messages you get and check the system logs for anything relevant.

I may be a bit cynical when it comes to Vista, but I do accept that Vista is not intended to be backwards compatible. One of the problems MS have always faced is backwards compatibility, and unfortunately, being backwards compatible for applications also makes for compatibility with exploits.

Running Visual Studio 2005 is hardly being backwards compatible, if that's what you meant .... it's the latest version! I'd have thought it was developed with Vista in mind, tbh.

I'm installing it onto the laptop now and might as well reinstall here while I'm at it.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

C'mon Moira,

Running Visual Studio 2005 is hardly being backwards compatible, if that's what you meant .... it's the latest version! I'd have thought it was developed with Vista in mind, tbh.
    That means that it is two years prior to what MS finally regurgitated as an OS............... backwards compatibility is one thing..............forwards compatibility is a totally unreasonable expectation.

Well, Visual Studio is happily installing on the laptop and doing some sort of repair mode maintenance on here - I'll see what transpires

Edit Seems there's a couple of service packs - this must be what didn't install last time. I've bookmarked them on the laptop to install after the program is finished and I'll do the same here.
    Last edited by Moira; May 27th, 2007 at 06:08 PM.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Well, I have no problems using Visual Studio on the laptop, but after reinstalling it on this PC, I'm having exactly the same problems. Someone suggested turning off aero while I was using it - apparently that has caused problems with a few programs.

I haven't really had time to try it out because of the problems I'm having in this thread:

http://antionline.com/showthread.php...899#post924899
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Right, I'm no further forward with this. Visual Studio despite all the reinstalls and turning off aero, the screen just goes black repeatedly until I close it.

I can only think of uninstalling visual studio 2003 on my other pc and installing VS 2005 instead as that's what I want to work with and I cba to get the laptop out each time. Unless anyone else has any ideas? I might try the msdn forums to see if there are any ideas from that community too.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

I've now got another problem - I decided to give up on VS here for the moment so I uninstalled VS 2003 on the other desktop PC and tried to install VS 2005. It came up with the following error:

[06/16/07,11:43:51] Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU: [2] ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND/ERROR_INSTALL_PACKAGE_OPEN_FAILED returned in CRootComponent::Install for: e:\vs\vs_setup.msi
    [06/16/07,11:43:51] VS70pgui: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU is not installed.
    [06/16/07,11:43:51] VS70pgui: [2] Unknown component status for.NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP3
    [06/16/07,11:43:51] VS70pgui: [2] Unknown component status for.NET Compact Framework 2.0
    [06/16/07,11:43:51] VS70pgui: [2] Unknown component status forMicrosoft Visual J# 2.0 Redistributable Package
    [06/16/07,11:43:51] VS70pgui: [2] Unknown component status forSQL Server 2005 Mobile Edition
    [06/16/07,11:43:51] VS70pgui: [2] Unknown component status forMicrosoft Device Emulator version 1.0
    [06/16/07,11:48:15] Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU: [2] ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND/ERROR_INSTALL_PACKAGE_OPEN_FAILED returned in CRootComponent::Install for: e:\vs\vs_setup.msi
    [06/16/07,11:48:16] VS70pgui: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU is not installed.
    [06/16/07,11:48:16] VS70pgui: [2] Unknown component status for.NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP3
    [06/16/07,11:48:16] VS70pgui: [2] Unknown component status for.NET Compact Framework 2.0
    [06/16/07,11:48:16] VS70pgui: [2] Unknown component status forMicrosoft Visual J# 2.0 Redistributable Package
    [06/16/07,11:48:16] VS70pgui: [2] Unknown component status forSQL Server 2005 Mobile Edition
    [06/16/07,11:48:16] VS70pgui: [2] Unknown component status forMicrosoft Device Emulator version 1.0
    It refuses to install and if anyone can understand one word of what I've quoted above I'll be impressed!

My only other option is to system restore back to having 2003 on that PC and just use the latest version on my laptop but that's a pain - getting the laptop out every time I want to work on some code when I've got two PCs sitting doing nothing.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature