Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a corporate Keylogger!!!

Sometimes there just isn't a technical solution to a management problem. Define your policy clearly on what is considered appropriate use of corporate resources (yes computers are corporate resources they are not the employees personal toys) and empower the managers and supervisors with the authority to enforce the policy. Like Nihil said, after the first few are fired for violation of the policy, the rest will quickly fall in line.

Cheers:
    DjM

That reminds me of another objection I have to the wholesale deployment of keyloggers. They are basically retroactive, whereas computer security should be proactive.

One would normally want to prevent your systems from getting screwed up rather than find someone to blame after the damage has been done.

That is why we use website filters, firewall rules, user authorities and the like, and lock systems down.

Hence, I regard them as "last ditch" rather than "frontline"

I defiantly do not agree with what they are doing and I think they are going overboard to say the least. A simple webproxy should suit the needs of almost any company. Anything more should only be in a per-basis circumstance. I figured I would ask if anything is out there though!

Quote Originally Posted by oofki
    Oh yeah they want a solution for monday lol...
    He-heh, that's the line I love. Tell them to get real. What a bunch of control freaks.
    Reminds me of a camera job I did a couple of years back. The boss kept having
    me reposition the cameras so he could see his employees faces. Lawdy, were
    they PO'ed. I was embarrassed.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

You were just doing your job you shouldn't feel embarrassed :-)

Quote Originally Posted by DjM
    Like Nihil said, after the first few are fired for violation of the policy, the rest will quickly fall in line.
    Not in a school. Gah.

Anyhoo, much as its rude to be a me-tooer, Keyloggers are a really bad idea. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to create one that will log keys, encrypt it and send it over the net/lan whenever possible its just so pointless. We do constant screenshot tracking on about 10% of our users (good lord, I had no idea it was that many til I just counted) and that catches most stuff. What we don't catch is stuff we don't see because we weren't watching.

Also - big flaw with keyloggers, you can't see what they are clicking on. So, using the keylogger we are trialing (from net support school package) we can see what people are typing. Some people type nothing. All this means is that they are surfing their favourites or playing solitare or messing with paint.

Catching a google search will not tell you what website they actually were playing with (and should be blocked) just the search.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by oofki
    You were just doing your job you shouldn't feel embarrassed :-)
    Come to think of it, the same guy had me install keyloggers in 3 or 4 desktops in the
    office a few years back. He griped they slowed the machines down, and I had to train
    him to read the log files. In the end, it was a lot of work going thru those. It worked in
    the sense he created the impression among his employees he could see what they were
    doing on the computers. He'd have been better off running an app like Iris and sniffing
    the network. The way a lot of security works, both physical and virtual, is creating the
    impression you will be seen doing wrong.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

We use an application called Peal Echo. It monitors http,chat,ftp, and email. Has a really nice front end. but you have to do some customization to get the data that matters. It's a pretty good monitoring solution. If they are offsite, you can either give your server an open port for the client application to report to, or it will just cache it until next time the computer is hooked up to the network.

Keyloggers

I would advise you to search on this site www.keylogger.org as it is dedicated to keyloggers and has a lot of info about them. I suppose you will find there what you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by oofki View Post
    Okay my friends company wants to monitor all the things EVERYONE does and people are not just on the lan there are a lot of onsite people. Does anyone know of a keylogger that can send the data securely via anything secure such as ssl, https, or sftp? Oh yeah they want a solution for monday lol...

A corporate keylogger? Maybe you can have a try on this monitoring program: Amac keylogger for mac. It seems very popular online, hope it can help.