Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keywords meta-tag

Keywords meta-tag

Hello,

The keywords are a critical part of getting your site out to the public by search engines. This can be a problem if you are not sure what best describes your site.

Having a great site isn't that great if nobody can find it. I have been making web pages for well over ten years and always draw a blank at my first attempt at getting the right keywords. Because of this, I wrote a tool to help me. It loads the page I give it, analyzes it and give me a list of keyword. It also produces a properly formed keyword meta-tag that I can copy and paste into my page.

I've used this for years with very good results, now I am making it publically and freely available to anyone that wants to get a starting point, fine tune their web page, or just see if they are on the right track. Search engines see pages differently then we do. This tool shows what a search engine sees.

You might be asking why that is important. The answer is simple, when a web designer builds a page, they are writting on a concept, somthing search engines can not understand. This is where my tool can bridge between a web designer's intent and what a search engine understands.

My keyword analyzer is free to use, no strings attached. It won't quit after n days and there is no software to install.

the url is http://tanaya.net/kwan/

Comments and critiques on the tool are always appreciated.

Thank you.

i have not used ur program yet, but i have a question related to the topic.

previously i have written sites with a long list of keywords in the meta tag, but search results via Google was almost ZERO. Not Zero because it could only find my site if i typed the whole URL in the search. then it comes up terrible listing. u think i made an error? or do i have to tell Google to load my site? (i suspect that google, yahoo, etc searches for my pages automaticly, and should have found them 2 years ago).

Excerpt of my code:
    Quote Originally Posted by e><ius

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=">
    <meta name="description" content="We translate your request and then make it. Each piece of furniture has a story. We make furniture and other conversation pieces, large and small. Each piece is one-of-a-kind and our work is award winning, so certain inherent value exists within your beautiful woodwork. All pieces are made of beautiful exotic hardwoods and other structural materials. We just need to know what is beautiful to you. In addition, we refinish and revive valued antiques.">
    <meta name="keywords" content="art, furniture, craft, wood, turning, carving, carved, studio, turned, fine, wood art, studio furniture, art furniture, whirligig, conversational piece, conversational furniture, public art, artist, turning, wood turning, Santa Monica, finewoodwork, finewoodworks, fine wood work, fine wood works, finewood, fine wood, finewoodworks.biz, finewoodwork.biz, www.finewoodworks.biz, www.finewoodwork.biz, www.finewoodworks.com, www.finewood.com, www.finewoodwork.com, www.finewood.biz">
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/styles.css">
    <title>Welcome to the Fine Wood Works Homepage!</title>
    <!---->
    <!--
    HTML Author: _________ -->
    </head>

thats pretty cool dude worked well :-)

Quote Originally Posted by e><ius
    i have not used ur program yet, but i have a question related to the topic.

previously i have written sites with a long list of keywords in the meta tag, but search results via Google was almost ZERO. Not Zero because it could only find my site if i typed the whole URL in the search. then it comes up terrible listing. u think i made an error? or do i have to tell Google to load my site? (i suspect that google, yahoo, etc searches for my pages automaticly, and should have found them 2 years ago).
    Hello,

The "trick" if you will or more appropriate said, new search engine policy is the keywords you choose must now be in your content. Keywords that are not in your content are considered spam and will actually lower your rank in the search engines.

As as a side note, Google still does use the Keywords meta-tag but uses synomons to reference them, cuts done the spam (so they (Google) say).

Best advice to to make sure you have TITLE and a DESCRIPTION keywords as well. All search engines use these for listing.

Quote Originally Posted by oofki
    thats pretty cool dude worked well :-)
    Great! gald to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by frpeter
    Hello,

The "trick" if you will or more appropriate said, new search engine policy is the keywords you choose must now be in your content. Keywords that are not in your content are considered spam and will actually lower your rank in the search engines.

As as a side note, Google still does use the Keywords meta-tag but uses synomons to reference them, cuts done the spam (so they (Google) say).

Best advice to to make sure you have TITLE and a DESCRIPTION keywords as well. All search engines use these for listing.

thanks for reply. if i were to add keywords into my description and title... wouldnt it get a bit messy? i dont know if i want viewers to see all that.

and when u say my keywords must be in in the content, which code/line are you talking about? example?

content is the stuff between body tags. Point being a keyword that is in the keyword tag but NOT used where users can see it is considered a decoy designed to draw inappropriate traffic to a website.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

ah ha! thx Aardpsymon. that does make sense and a lot of sense. basicly my website sucks, not like i care cuz i dont work for that guy any more. but good to know, FTW.

Just elaborating a bit from other sources, a good search engine like google will have many layers to its page analysis.

So, things that will NOT improve your ranking include:

* text the same as the background colour.
    * text in unreadably small fonts.
    * keywords not used on the page in question.
    * text blatantly added to the page to increase keyword count.

I'm told (no proof) that google have some good Genetic Algorithms that can spot use of words in context. So if I were to Cardinal Allen slip kewords Cardinal Allen into the middle of Cardinal Allen sentances to improve my ranking they Cardinal Allen can tell that the word is out of context and disregard it. Of course this will also spot a "Cardinal Allen Cardinal Allen Cardinal Allen Cardinal Allen Cardinal Allen " block at the bottom of a page as irrelavent text.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Hello,

I thank you for sharing the tool.

I have just found a very unexpected keyword when I used it. As matter of fact, I never used that word in any of my content.

However, the rest are good suggestions.
    Target your customers with informative and creative content writing.