Thread: some issues with IE7

some issues with IE7

Hi ever since I updated to IE7 I am having some strange behavior on Dell inspiron 8600 with true mobile 1400 wifi card. Some pages are extremely slow to come up. For instance just now antionline is not comming up at all. Ethereal shows the dns lookup and a three way handshake from the time I try to load antionline.com, but no packets after that. Other websites usually come up ok, but sometimes things are slow. Especiaslly when SSL streams are processed. Wifi signal is good. It definately started with installation IE7. I wish I can go back to IE6 somehow. I have XP SP2 pretty much up to date. I run Zone Alarm.

I guess that you have a router? what is it? Along these lines do you have the same problems when you are in a different location? If you do not, that would suggest a problem with your wifi setup?

Have you got the latest firmware for the wifi card and router?

I would also update Windows and IE7 to the latest patch level.

Can you establish a wired connection, if so, does that have the same problems? If it does, that would suggest an IE7 problem?

Last edited by nihil; June 30th, 2007 at 01:36 PM.

Ok the wire works smooth. I can get antionline and everything runs fast on the wire. I also ran Spybot S&D and cleaned up some stuff. I left ethereal running all night with IE window opened and there was nothing suspicious. The router is old Dlink 614+, not supported any more. I will try to update the firmware on dell true mobile 1400, on the laptop. Any other suggestions?

You may want to check your system processes too. There's a number of things that could cause the problem but you're going in the right direction.

Hi,

I don't think that it is a malware issue, although having that as well doesn't help. Also, when you are troubleshooting it is best to have a level playing field

It would seem that IE7 and your Windows are OK, but there is some sort of issue with the WiFi.

My normal approach would be to update the firmware and the OS/browser. What I suspect is that somehow IE7 is provoking some sort of conflict with the WiFi drivers?

If you remember IE7 was little better than a Beta RC2 when it was released, and there were a number of issues?

EDIT: The latest firmware for the DLink is here:

http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=jN7uAYLx/...ogNqBn5zguEirs

Make sure that you get the right revision "A" or "B"

You might try using your WiFi with FireFox and see if that confirms my suspicions?

Last edited by nihil; June 30th, 2007 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks everyone, I found the problem. It was the dell true mobile 1400 firmware. I updated it and pages are loading up fast. I got the firmware for the router as well so I'll do that now. Thanks again!

You are welcome pal,

I have encountered several problems with IE7, but never with that hardware combination. Updating software/firmware or repairing/reinstalling the browser has worked for me
    Last edited by nihil; June 30th, 2007 at 08:49 PM.