Thread: wireless in Ubuntu

wireless in Ubuntu

As most of you know, I'm fairly new to linux, and i have problems with it very easily. Well, I've finally gotten a dual boot of ubuntu and windows all by myslef (I'm hoping to get slackware on soon too, for a triboot, if thats what its called) but, my wireless internet in Ubuntu is horrible. In windows I get about 95-100% signal strength from my AP, which is around 10 feet away, but through a wall, so i didn't use cables. In Ubuntu, it says 30%, and when I try to download updates, it says downloading at 1000 bytes per second, then it will say unavailable, and back and forth. When I try to use firefox, the only page that will load is google (and google searches), any other page won't completely load. If my wireless in ubuntu didn't work at all, I could at least search online for help, but with this, it says it works, but not really, so I have no idea what to do.

More information such as wireless card, chipset and current driver you are using in Ubuntu would be useful...

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

My wireless card is a PCI Netgear WG311T, atheros chipset, and im not sure of the drivers, which may be the problem, but the current drivers 'work' so im not sure. Like I said before, i don't know much about linux, so the drivers that are being used are the ones ubuntu decides to use, and i don't know how to change that as of now.

atheros chipset
    So you are using madwifi drivers?

What version of Ubuntu?

It is probably the drivers: maybe search the Ubuntu forums?

You may need to upgrade the drivers, or install the latest beta.

I had similar problems with some of the older versions of madwifi.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

I just downloaded Ubuntu about a week ago, so I have feisty fawn. I'm not sure if this would have anything to do with it, but I downloaded the 64bit version, and I have a Core 2 Duo, which I'm fairly sure is 64 bit, but now im doubting myself.