Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help with MediSoft

AOs Resident Troll
    morganlefay took the words right out of my mouth!
    Thats cause great minds think alike

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Well,

I wonder if this is just another case of those things that, like Topsy "just growed" ?

I worry about my friend CN22................ this is a medical practice and HIPAA applies?

Perhaps that is a reason for the somewhat "strange" configuration?

CN22................. yo make good'n damn sure yo cover that pretty a$$ o yor'n

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

Wink

I worry about my friend CN22................ this is a medical practice and HIPAA applies?

Perhaps that is a reason for the somewhat "strange" configuration?
    Exactly.

CN22................. yo make good'n damn sure yo cover that pretty a$$ o yor'n
    Will do. BTW, how did you know I had a pretty a$$?

Cheers,cn22

Just Another Geek
    Ah.. Didn't think about regulations just technology

But if it must use that cross-cable you should verify if it really does use that connection and not the one via the router. One way to do it would be to install something like wireshark and sniff the traffic on the cross-cable connection. That would quickly determine which NIC gets used. Unplugging the cable could be an option too but there's a risk the application will still work because it would 'silently' switch to the other connection.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Indeed, in both cases what SirDice said. Certainly the entire point of routers is to NOT have a crossover cable going between every PC that wants to access a shared resource. Although, I must admit the idea of each pc having 200 NICs and all the network cables running round this building amuses me.

Actually, now that I think that....heres why a crossover cable is ridiculous. What do you do if you want a third pc to access this DB? a fourth? a fifth?
    Maybe that will never happen, but to be fair if the security on your router/internet connection is good enough then you are fine either way. If they can breach your firewall etc, then it doesn't matter that its supposed to be using the crossover cable, chances are they will get in.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

I would suggest using a single cable on each pc connected to the router, so one NIC in each PC. Set each NIC to use DHCP via the router. This will ensure they are on the same subnet and using the same default gateway.

On the Router, make sure all required traffic is allowed communicate between the lan.

On the Server/Client software make sure they are set to use the name of the PC (Server) as opposed to the IP Address, since they might be set to use the old "cross-over cable" IP Address range.

On the client PC, do an nslookup of the server's name to make sure it resolves with the correct IP Address.

Wolfe.

Hi CN22,

Will do. BTW, how did you know I had a pretty a$$?
    Your gf told me............. she is the "megadethslayer #23" that I speak to on IRC?

Hey old pal.................. have you noticed that the European Union has closed ranks and fixed bayonets in your support?

Cheers

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

Talking

Your gf told me............. she is the "megadethslayer #23" that I speak to on IRC?
    She probably did, however, not on IRC it would be on *myspace* lol .

Hey old pal.................. have you noticed that the European Union has closed ranks and fixed bayonets in your support?
    Now thats what IM talking about. Pimp the game baby, pimp the game.

Cheers, CN22