Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with MediSoft

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Computernerd22
    There are 2 NIC cards in the towers. 2 are for medisoft, the other two are for the Netgear router.
    Why? There's absolutely no need for that and may also be a cause of your problem.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirDice
    Why? There's absolutely no need for that and may also be a cause of your problem.

I agree, I bet there is a default gateway configured on each interface and the workstation is sending the traffic out the wrong interface.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

Wink

But their is a need to have 2 NIC cards in each tower. Again, a cross over cable is connected to one of the NICS in each tower for Medisoft & Advantage Database Server. Also, the other set is for the netgear router to get online.

I bet there is a default gateway configured on each interface and the workstation is sending the traffic out the wrong interface.
    I bet you're completely wrong.

Anyways, I just wanted to say thank you for recommending to disable the windows firewall on PC1. As soon as I did this, the client (PC2) was able to connect to the server.

So I hooked up and secured their wireless network and got there new dell notebook added to the network and added the network printer to it. Also, cleaned out all PC's in the office. All workstations are up-to-date, spyware/malware/virus/worm free.
    Last edited by Computernerd22; July 5th, 2007 at 02:39 AM.

CN22, shame on you!

I will quote from my first response: (second post in this thread)

Do you have any security software running on these two boxes? OK I am sure you would have taken care of any firewalls, but other stuff can block things, or fart about so long looking at them that they time out.
    You had not, had you?

Yeah!

You owe us all a beer

surely....if both pcs are plugged into the router, they can just talk via that? I mean, that is what routers are for....
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

You had not, had you?
    Yeah!
    You owe us all a beer
    Actually I tried to disable the windows firewall but I wasnt able to. It was all greyed out the on & off button was not an option. I Just remembered it was being associated with the (GPO) Group Policy Object so anyways, I opened services.msc as soon as I did this I went down to windows firewall and disabled the service. Went to client (pc2) opened medisoft just perfect. Next time IM on that side of the world I'll take you up on that offer.
    BTW, This is my first time ever using the medisoft & advantage database server software so it turned out well. My GF called the doctors and let them know its all completed now they want me to do the other doctors office. Thats my weekend project.

surely....if both pcs are plugged into the router, they can just talk via that? I mean, that is what routers are for....
    btw, Just for the record there 'previous tech' tom came up with get 2 nic cards and plug the crossover cable into the network card on both systems and that will run medisoft & advantage database server. Then use the other network card and plug your network cable (cat5) into it and plug the other end into the router.
    It's setup like that for sharing purposes and for medisoft & advantage database server aswell.
    IM curious though, you state it's pointless or useless but how would you set it up? You seem reather intelligent with this stuff so how would you have set it up and configured it?

Maybe IM not explaining it properly idk, either interested with the replies.

cheers, cn22

Just Another Geek
    You would just set it up just like you did now. There's no change. Except there's one less NIC in each machine.

I'm betting the software actually communicates via the router and not via the crosscable.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Wink

I'm betting the software actually communicates via the router and not via the crosscable.
    I don't think it does. When I issue ipconfig /all
    it shows LAN1 (MEDISOFT) it's states DHCP is 'not' enabled. Also, IP address is something like 169.254.x.x instead of 10.x.x.x

However, with the netgear router I'm using an ip address scheme of 10.x.x.x with DHCP enabled. I let the router assign the IP addresses to the computers on the network not me.

Is there actually a way to determine this? If it is actually using the router instead of the cross-over cable?

AOs Resident Troll
    unplug the cable...see which one works??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

morganlefay took the words right out of my mouth!

Anyway, I don't recall if you said if you are using NDCMedisoft Advanced or NDCMedisoft Network Professional, but it appears there is a difference:
    Information: Getting Started with NDCMedisoft.

Can I use a crossover cable to connect computers using Medisoft Network Professional? .

Or maybe this will help

Error 6420: Unable to discover the Advantage Database Server

Guess you already found this one
    Information Concerning XP SP2's Firewall. .

But if it is working now ....?

" And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes