Thread: public contact list in outlook

public contact list in outlook

I've done some searching on this, but haven't come up with anything that is substantial yet.

Here is what I have.

Exchange Server 2003...Outlook 2003 running on the desktops.

We have some contact lists that are in the public folder.

As of right now, the only way we can import more contacts (via excel or whatever) is to import them into one of the contact lists on the non-public side of outlook, then from there, copy from that non public contact list to the public contact list.

I've been trying to find out how I can import directly from excel to the public contact list without having to import to the non public, then copy to the public.

If that makes sense. lol
    =

AOs Resident Troll
    Have you tried a domain or all powerfull server administrator (exchange may require it) Outlook account and profile....

I never did figure this out..

Be nice to know.

MLF
    Last edited by morganlefay; July 7th, 2007 at 04:53 AM.
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Yes I did...first tried it from the persons PC who is trying to copy to the "public" contact list, and that didn't work.

So I had her email me the excel export file. My account is Administrator/domain admin etc etc..

I tried it using my account, and still didn't work...still have to copy to your private contact list, then copy to the public one...

Its not that its keeping us from doing anything, just really annoying that you have to copy list 2 or 3 times before you finally get it to where you need it. lol
    =

From what I gather, in Exchange 2k3 Public Contact lists aren't as ideal as using a combination of the Global Address Book (which I think ties in w/ AD) and Distribution Lists.
    Our company switched a lot of our Public Contact Lists over to Global Address Book a while ago for ease of maintenance and use. As I understand it is the more appropriate thing in Exchange. But I'm not as proficient as others in Exchange.
    Are you using Public Contacts for external emails or something? I really don't think I'd want to have a users Excel spread sheet or personal contacts defining what's on my system. I'd rather have it tie in with Active Directory and have it administered by me or a Active Directory user security worker.
    Last edited by not_it; July 12th, 2007 at 05:42 PM.

AOs Resident Troll
    I guess it depends on what you use public contacts for...

But what we are talking about is maintaining thousands of external contacts...
    Vendors, Customers etc.....where you would export from an existing database in a CSV\excel format then import into a public contact list where certain departments have access to common list of external email.

Permissions can be applied to these public contacts, such as read only, create, edit etc...using groups\users.

The problem is you have to first import into a outlook profile then export to the public contacts...where with previous versions of exchange with the proper permissions you could create and import right in the public list....

essentially skipping a step

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Its basically a contact list for our asset management team...about 5 people or so.

Theres no more than 1000 contacts, I'd say more like 400 or so, but I haven't checked.

I'll play around with the distribution/Global address thing, and see what I can do.

Thanks
    =