Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FireFox plugin problems?

Hybrid View

FireFox plugin problems?

If you use the scriptblocker plug-in for FF and downloaded an update in the past few days you might be experiencing some strange results?

In particular, you may find that you cannot clear private data on exit?

There is a new fix out today that sorts this

You could still perform this task manually before exiting.......... it's just that it would not do it on exit.

I'm not sure if I had that script-blocker on (and I have been blocking a few scripts in the past particularly when opening emails) BUT...

Might it be the reason why my installed Firefox [just recently started to] freeze up even before it could commence hooking into the Internet (looks like "browser blocked" status)? I tried uninstalling it and downloading and installing the latest version (2.0.0.4) but the problem stayed.

Having that problem, I was forced to use MSIE to download and install Opera 9 as an alternative browser. But I do wish I could use FF again.

{Nihil, I beg a thousand pardons if this post goes off[-tangent] the topic you intended it to be.]

Goitz
    Si vis pacem, para bellum!

I'm having another problem with it since update before last. It keeps throwing up a password prompt for some software. PC is clean, I always scan with at least 2 scanners, if not 3. I only use FF to check our sites in, but still, it's a damn nuisance.

In both those cases I would try creating a new User Profile and see if the problem persists.

If that works then boot into safe mode and uninstall it. Remove any remnants from your proper user profile and the Registry, then reboot and do a reinstall.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    In both those cases I would try creating a new User Profile and see if the problem persists.

If that works then boot into safe mode and uninstall it. Remove any remnants from your proper user profile and the Registry, then reboot and do a reinstall.

IT WORKED! Thanks, Nihil.

I did the following:
    1. Manually deleted the profile then the whole Mozilla folder (I use only FF) from the C:\\Documents and Settings ... Application Data.
    2. Uninstalled Mozilla Firefox (through Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel).
    3. Reinstalled M-FF then just proceeded to reconfigure it (I lost the bookmarks, though but I can always go back and add them later).

I looked around the Registries but found nothing to tweak or delete. Didn't have to reboot, too.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum!

I may. 1st I'll try unchecking some of the protocols. It's not like I surf with the thing, I don't need to worry about security when it's open a grand total of 3 secs, and always on our sites.

The reason that I suggest it is that FF is very "user profile" orientated. Also user profiles can get corrupted?

Believe me, I know. I used Blunderbird for a yr. Profile corrupted twice and I lost mail each time. After the 2nd time I decided to pay for a real program.

JP, what are you using now for email? I've been away from client-based
    email apps for a couple of years, but find myself supporting Outlook now.
    I'm thinking of going back to client-based apps, but you make it sound
    like Th(Bl)underbird's a bad choice. Any thoughts?
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

I used to use Outlook, but a couple of features, or lack thereof, drove me nuts. For example, the fact that it gave a new email notice even for junk mail, mail filtered out by some rule or other. I use The Bat! now, pro version, although the home version would've sufficed just as well. Uses far less memory than blunderbird with a ton more features.