Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deleted files.

Deleted files.

When you move a file or a few to your recycling bin, and then 'empty' it, the things you deleted stay on your computer under different names. so if you need to remove something completely, you should find a program that will shred the files. otherwise they can be easily compromised with a program. so shred, dont delete. thats all i gotta say.

Hello mrdotcom,

Is this a prelude to you, or your associate spamming the scumware that you have?

Eraser is a good FREE program to do exactly what you suggest

The website of the author:

http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Hello mrdotcom,

Is this a prelude to you, or your associate spamming the scumware that you have?

Eraser is a good FREE program to do exactly what you suggest

The website of the author:

http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/
    Hey Nihil, that Eraser program you linked to is a pretty nice app. i' was using another app but this one is waaay better, cheers for the linkage.

Talking Nihil! Much Thanks!!!

I was searching the net for something that would totally remove all traces of information from my hdd, decided to skim through the forums here on antionline and omg I found this post about eraser Thanks so much Nihil, it's perfect!!!
    You're just jealous that the voices talk to me!

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Google for Javacool, he made something similar.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    I don't agree with you. Logically a tool either works or it does not. So, it is theoretically possible that I could run several tools and still be exposed?

From a security viewpoint the correct approach is to delete your data and then use data recovery software to see if you can get it back, or see if it ever existed.

When I worked in the defence sector, one person would erase a drive and a second person would audit that erasure. Both would have to sign the task off.

Try this:

http://www.recuva.com/download

And this:

http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/dskinv.html

All free and I use them myself

On a personal note, unless stuff is really confidential and you are sure that you have finished with it, I usually recommend that you just delete it. That way you can recover it (hopefully) if needs be.

Every now and then I use the "wipe freespace" option to make sure that the drive is clean. This will make deleted files irrecoverable, but I should have found out that I still needed them by this time.

When I am wiping a drive before a fresh install of an OS I prefer to use the HDD manufacturer's tool, as this will also do some drive checking as well as the wipe, and a simple overwrite is adequate for reinstallation.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    I don't agree with you. Logically a tool either works or it does not. So, it is theoretically possible that I could run several tools and still be exposed?

From a security viewpoint the correct approach is to delete your data and then use data recovery software to see if you can get it back, or see if it ever existed.

When I worked in the defence sector, one person would erase a drive and a second person would audit that erasure. Both would have to sign the task off.

Try this:

http://www.recuva.com/download

And this:

http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/dskinv.html

All free and I use them myself

On a personal note, unless stuff is really confidential and you are sure that you have finished with it, I usually recommend that you just delete it. That way you can recover it (hopefully) if needs be.

Every now and then I use the "wipe freespace" option to make sure that the drive is clean. This will make deleted files irrecoverable, but I should have found out that I still needed them by this time.

When I am wiping a drive before a fresh install of an OS I prefer to use the HDD manufacturer's tool, as this will also do some drive checking as well as the wipe, and a simple overwrite is adequate for reinstallation.
    Been using Eraser and DiskInvestigator for a couple years now hand in hand. Excellent way to see if what you delete is really gone.

Hmmm...

I use DBAN -- its free and does a wonderful job of erasing a hdd...takes awhile but if you set it up right...it should be nigh impossible to retrieve the data without microscopic equipment, a clean room, phd and no life...here's the link to DBAN
    http://dban.sourceforge.net

But if you really really really want to make sure your stuff is gone..

Nothing beats using one of the above programs to completely wipe the drive, then leave it on a commercial magnet for a few days, after those few days, hammer the hell out of it, then throw it to the bottom of a lake...lol
    =

Yes, Darik's Boot & Nuke is a good tool. I only use it for a full wipe prior to redeployment.

The reason I suggested "Eraser" is that the OP seemed to be talking about ongoing wipes of individual items. It will do a full wipe as well, but you need to run it from a bootable medium. There are options on the programs menu to create a nuking disk.