Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi, just joined and a little confused?

by the way, I was going to add some images to support my argument, but I can't add anything larger than a BANNER ADVERTISEMENT of (620 x 280)

no problem, I will put them in a zip file, OR NOT, those can only be 97.7kB

damn JupMed sucks...

It's a standard Visual Bulletin install so anybody who uses other forums will be familiar.

OK, I normally ignore these rants for what they are..............rants.

However, as we have a lot of relatively new members I will post this link:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.antionline.com

You can look at the front page of AO over the years and form your own opinion.

Please note that the site seems to use some sort of dynamic linking so it only shows the historical front page. If you follow links it will bring you into our archives with the current format.

Try 2002 for example "the glory days"................ you will note that the forum index is accessed from a table just like today.........on the right, only in third place. There is also a link at the bottom............ just like today.

Also note that there is NO BIG BUTTON at the top of the page, to link to the forums?

It would seem that some of our membership have rather "convenient memories"

As for the content..............well, I dont find ego pruning, skiddie bitching, flame wars and antipoint alliances particularly "professional"......... but that is just me.

I wonder how AO found itself on RTBLs back then?

WolfeTone > if you believe this is a "standard...install" then you must also believe that there is no difference between the sun and the moon

nihil > you must have missed the big [Active Topics In AntiOnline's Security Discussion Forums] text link, even though it's in the middle top of the page and it's [font size='2'] text

http://web.archive.org/web/200203290...ntionline.com/

Firstly, let me say that this is a standard vBulletin implementation. Any customisation is within the parameters either provided by the software or such that would not interfere with using the VBulletin updating mechanism.

We were bitten by that problem, and it won't happen again.

nihil > you must have missed the big [Active Topics In AntiOnline's Security Discussion Forums] text link
    Nope, what you seem to have forgotten is that the butchered version that we were using had "an extra page" or "layer". You will notice that it says "active topics".................that allowed you to go to a lower level and display all threads deemed to be currently active............. at this level it would expand into more than one page if required.

The feature was a hack, and is not available in the current system. The example you link to shows the 15 most recently updated threads on the front page. The current version shows 30, but, as I said, doesn't have the additional layer and pages.

You can use "today's posts" which should give very similar results, as I believe the old system used a 24 hour cycle?

Your other option would be "new posts" which will show you the latest and threads containing stuff you haven't read.

how can you not say that there is a problem with the design when it is easier for a new member to post a new topic (in the appropriate forum) than it is for same member to read the damn forums?!

how can you not say that there is a problem with the design when it is easier for a new member to post a new topic (in the appropriate forum) than it is for same member to read the damn forums?!
    I don't see that.............both acts require you to navigate to the forum. You just have to experiment a bit and look around (like scroll to the bottom to get the next page and so on?).

I find it strange that you are so concerned about this............the update went live on 15 September 2006, this post started 11 July 2007. Many, many, people have visited and joined this site in that time, and this is the first instance of this apparent problem.

If you have a problem with the design, the software is by Jelsoft Enterprises, not Jupiter Media.....................the "engine" is the same as other sites using our version.

Anyways, isn't this supposed to be a site for IT experts and enthusiasts.......... I wouldn't actually describe the software as "rocket science"..........hell it is used on loads of sites that are non-computer orientated.

Banned
    I'd reply, but I can't locate the darn reply button in this new design!

I have to say I found the same difficulty as rlee923 and though I have a toolbar button for the forum which links to the portal page, if I want the actual threads I usually pick on a topic reply notification to navigate there. You can navigate from the portal page but I don't think it's as obvious as it could be.

However, I disagree completely with The3ntropy and I think AOline is a great forum! I think it is impressive and I've found it an enjoyable and pleasant place to hang out. Not only that, but it's given me a lot of useful help and advice and there's a lot of good content on the boards. I thought The3ntropy was rather rude actually - there are some very conscientous people running this place who put a lot of commitment into it.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

That link you refer to that says Antionline.com, is underlined as links traditionally are, and changes color on mouseover. Both are industry standard means of identifying links.

What else should we put, a graphic that says 'click here for forum index'? It's the standard place to find the navigation/breadcrumb links on a vbulletin forum, and since that is the most popular forum software in use on the web, I would think many people are able to use it without difficulty.