Thread: Line across monitor

Line across monitor

At work, we recently upgraded to flat panel monitors for the registers up front.

One of them has a line going all the way across the screen horizontally... it is about 2 inches [5 cm] up from the bottom... The color of the line will change depending on the on-screen color.

I am pretty sure that it is a defect in the monitor itself... I was just curious as to what might cause that. As far as I know, the line just appeared without any obvious cause. [No abuse to the monitor in other words] ...

Any thoughts, suggestions? Much appreciated.

westin
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Hey,

It might be the connector or connection type. I recently got a widescreen flat-panel LCD and when I use its DVI input, there is a pink line/ green line across the bottom the screen. However, if I use its VGA input, everything is hunky dory. I later determined that the DVI input connector was loose. So, it could be caused by a loose input connector.

d4nte
    "Few have the versatility of mind to familiarize themselves with a new system; and owing to the general distaste for all innovation, still fewer have the inclination to do so." - Immanuel Kant

Whaaaaat!!!!!!!!!!!

You!............... You! of all people, ask this question?

It is the Mason-Dixon line you pillock!............. but you say it is about 2" from the bottom?..............

Now, notwithstanding the Northern War of Economic Aggression, we all know that the South is bigger (socially, intellectually, culturally and morally)......... so your screen must have been installed upside down?

Y'all gonna have to stop employing them damn Yankee engineers?

On a less technical level, you have a defective screen......... not a flat screen specific problem as it goes, as they tend to suffer from "dead pixels". The lines are something else, which I must admit that I have forgotten, but believe is not repairable

Send it back my friend..................

yeah, I've got one that is doing something similar (but vertical) I think either the connector for that line is loose or theres a dying chip in there or something. This is using the VGA connector.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

have seen the same thing with a laptop monitor. this person had cleaned the screen with a wet cloth and the water had seeped into the screen through the side.

the screen is connected with some kind of electrode strip (which had come off). it is connected by some solution/glue (dont know what exactly).

had to send the laptop over to the service station.
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

OK, my advice to westin is that if it is under warranty it goes back.

I am assuming that by "flat panel" we are talking LCD? as in laptops?

Behind the screen there is a display feed flex cable.......... a flat multicore thing. I know that with lappies this can sort of work loose and cause vertical lines, but I am not sure about horizontal ones.

The cable is taped into position, and because laptops get subjected to considerable temperature variations the glue tends to perish.

I have a roll of heat resistant aluminium adhesive tape (decent hardware store.......... central heating engineers use it) for those sort of jobs.

Given that we are talking new equipment and no physical abuse (but do you know what the cleaners get up to?) then my first call is for some sort of electronic defect.

Thanks for all of the replies... the monitors are most definitely under warranty... [I am not sure if it covers mason-dixon lines though] So I suppose we will go that route... I will also check the connection, just in case... once again thank you very much for the prompt replies.

westin

edit:

Yes Nihil you are correct in assuming that it is an LCD monitor... it is using a VGA plug
    Last edited by westin; July 12th, 2007 at 01:14 PM.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Ive seen those happen over time. Not often but they do. Its a whole line that it happens to so obviously that line of pixels are not receiving data. There isnt a pin for each line on VGA nor DVI so that narrows it to the lcd its self. My guess it electronic not physical.

Doesnt matter though because you have a waranty :-)