computer shutting down
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: computer shutting down

computer shutting down

hi all,

my laptop's gone into shutting down frenzy. am running windows Xp (sp2) fully updated. programs installed: avast anti virus, ad-aware, spybot and tuneup utilities.

about two weeks ago, after i installed nero 7, the computer suddenly shut down. restarted and checked the error log. it just said "application hang". this happened a number of times, so i uninstalled nero. but the problem didnt stop. it kept happening again and again. checked the error logs again. this time new thing poped up-"LoadPerf, event 3011,3012"

googled about it. found out that its got something to do about the perfstringbackup.ini file not loading properly.

this "backup file" is supposed to be something like 300kb, the one i have here is only 5kb. i learnt that the windows overwrites this file, so there is no hope of restoring it back.
    speaking of restoring, system restoration failed on this. no reasons, it just said failed.

now a new thing has poped up, this little blue star came up in the task bar saying "i am a victim of software counterfeiting"

my only option (the one i an thinking) is to format and reload windows

but this "loadperf" thing has happened before, so want to resolve this

there has to be a way to cure this
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

Of course there is (first) mate!

This is a good thread on it: please read it all through........... there are a couple of command line entries to run................. please ignore the crap about "chkdsk" that won't do anything for you.

http://www.d-a-l.com/help/archive/in...p/t-45599.html

The "LoadPerf" crap happens because 'doze (2000 & XP at least) fires off a performance monitor when you start installing applications or drivers and stores the results in the Registry.

Your application (Nero 7) load stalled and crashed so the registry values got corrupted

Now, the little blue star means that Billy Windoze thinks that you are a pirate (arrrrrrrrrrrrrr Jim lad ............ been looking for an excuse to use that smilie for a while)

I don't know if it is related to the Registry problem so please sort that first.

Cheers

hey nihil,

thanx,

tried the command lines.

comp shutdown.......thrice. this is whats bugging me. its been always doing that. have to restart a number of times before it stays on for and hour or so. and then the same thing.

tuneup utilities checks the registry and repairs it. didnt get any major errors

while searching about this, had come across some command line that checks the registry structure. unfortunately the comp shut down and the thread got lost.

will work around the other thing after this.........

cheers

Does it just shut right off? With out any messages I mean. If so maybe it is just overheating.

Hi oofki,

We are getting Event ID 3011 & 3012 which suggests Perf Mon corruption.

This tool may help:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

EDIT: The question is, are we still getting those messages in the log?

Baggi, please get this tool and run it. Look for any Microsoft updates that have a X next to them.............. those are ones that have failed.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    Last edited by nihil; July 12th, 2007 at 06:22 PM.

oofki,
    its just shutting down. no error messages. but just before the shutdown the fan starts to spin real fast. after that i have about 5 secs to close whatever window i have open.

nihil
    cant download from the mircosoft site yet. still failing the validation. will find alternate method
    as for belarc advisor, there is a "x" on microsoft security update
    and csi benchmark score is 1.25 out of 10.

that is bad isnt it.

now to look for alternate site

cheers

It really sounds to be as if those errors are a side effect of the computer shutting down like that - not the cause.

OK.

I would see if you can uninstall the failed security update. Are you running the MS validation tool online or from your hard drive? See if you can run it from your HDD?

AFAIK MS still let you have "critical updates" so you should be able to go to the Windows update site and try to reinstall it, maybe over the top of the failed one if you can't delete it.

Are you still getting the 3011 & 3012 messages in the log?

Go into your BIOS setup and turn off the "fast boot" and "restart on error" options if you have them. That may get you a message.

Also check the fan settings you want it at full power, which might be called something like "performance" or whatever.

As for the benchmark, I think that a lot depends on how you actually use your computer. The scoring is rather loaded as well.

nihil

long time no shutdown. long time no error. (i think its working)

dont have "fast boot" and "restart on error" in the bios.

working on the wga thing. will come back after that (requires a few restarts)

cheers

Hi Baggi,

What did you do to it? The reason I suggested removing the failed patch is we don't know exactly what it might have corrupted. Say it failed to install and failed to uninstall properly...................that would corrupt the working Perf Mon record, which would get written to the backup and then copied to the live record at the next installation failure............ leaving you with no valid record at all?

oofki, those messages are pretty specific to performance monitor corruption on a failed installation. From what Baggi has said, the problems came after a failed installation, not because of a system crash.

I suspect that the original culprit is the failed Windows security update, which is probably the cause of the false "pirate software" alert as well.