Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terminal Server & Broken Internet

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar

Exclamation Terminal Server & Broken Internet

Hey all,

Have a bit of an issue at the moment. Hoping someone has a few ideas or suggestions. I have googled around but cannot find anything that is specifically helpful.

Have a client with an exchange server and terminal services installed on another server. Exchange is Windows Server 2003 SBS SP1, Terminal Server is Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard SP2. Exchange is AD.

Network layout is [internet-router-internal] so i can guarantee the problem is solely on the Terminal Server and nowhere else. Quite simply, the internet does not work, Specifically, a web browser does not work. Internet is running as expected on the Exchange server; can browse, telnet/ftp out, ping etc.

On the Terminal Server i can ping any IP address on the interweb and DNS is resolving quickly and normally. In effect the internet is there. Launch Internet Explorer go to www.google.com and Status bar says Done and nothing is shown on screen, or it continues to 'load' the page endlessly with other sites. IE Enhanced Security Configuration (ISC) is installed. However i have added every site i have tried to test to trusted sites, enabled every single option for trusted sites. No avail. I have even uninstalled the ISC (without reboot) and the same problem.

Perhaps it is the browser itself, so i installed the latest version of IE from MS Website. Same issue. Lets try another browser, Firefox is always good..... well, when i try to browse there is a pause as if it is trying to resolve the name then it starts to download a file called something like 4cc43f13 which is an "Application/Octect-Stream" and i can either save it open the file but that is it.

So I am a little dumbstruck and not quite sure what my next option is considering i fell i have removed everything that could potentially cause this and every other workstation/server has no issue like this. Please note that the Exchange server also has ISC installed but has no problems.

Any ideas guys??

I will post links and info as i come across it whilst researching.

Cheers
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

AOs Resident Troll
    The SBS limits licensing to 1 Terminal Server User at a time...maybe the SBS is denying access someway...depending on the browsers\computers gateway permissions

definately a permissions thing...check group\ user permissions

could even be a gateway to gateway thing

guessing........just ideas

MLF

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

The terminal server is 2003 standard, not SBS. Multiple users can logon and use the applications installed on terminal services etc so i dont think it is a licensing or permissions issue, particularly when logged onto the console session with domain administrator still does not allow normal internet browsing or ftp hookups. Bit of a mystery it seems.

Thanks MLF
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Ok, let's go back to basics here first.

Just to make sure I have it right the Exchange Server can access the internet and use IE ok? The Terminal Server can't?

Ok, open up a command prompt on Exchange and type ipconfig /all and post the results. What is the default gateway? And what does the default gateway correspond to, is it the router?

Do the same on the Terminal Server.

I'm going to assume the default gateway on the Exchange Server is the router.

Next question, does the Exchange Server have a proxy server installed.
    In IE, go into Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings and see if it is using a proxy server, maybe set to the IP Address of the Exchange Server or localhost on port 8080.

Next check if the Terminal Server can ping the Exchange Server.

Try setting the default gateway to either the router (if this is ok for your network otherwise) or the IP Address of the Exchange Server.

OR, if there is a proxy on the Exchange Server, try setting the proxy to the IP Address of the Exchange Server on port 8080 in IE.

Just to make sure I have it right the Exchange Server can access the internet and use IE ok? The Terminal Server can't?
    Yep, just to reiterate, the only problem i have with the entire network is the terminal server cannot browse the web.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IPConfiguration on Exchange (SBS2003);
    External Facing NIC
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 202.61.x.x
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.252
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 202.61.x.x
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2

Internal Facing NIC
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2

IPConfiguration on Terminal Server (Std2003)
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2

(Above should answer all questions re gateway etc)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definitely no Proxy or ISA server running. If i set the terminal server to use the SBS Server as a proxy, when browsing the web all i get is the "mycompany" internal webpage.
    Next check if the Terminal Server can ping the Exchange Server.
    Yes, this is a definite. Everything seems to be fine and working ok. I can even ping externally from the terminal server and resolve host names via SBS server as you would expect.

It almost seems like it is a browser issue ?? IE has been updated to the latest version and a different browser has been tried as mentioned in my first post.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

CTO
    - Albert Einstein

Ok, quick question - what is the IP Address of the router?

Also, if you do a tracert www.google.com - what do you get, can you post results.

I'm guessing the IP Address of the router is: 202.61.x.x

Just to confirm that the external NIC on the Exchange Server is connected to a router and not directly to the Internet?

Ok...from what I've read, on the server that we cannot browse the web on, we can ping and resolve DNS via command prompt...just not getting pages to load.

First thring I would try, is remove the Enhanced security crap on IE....Try that...if that doesn't work, install firefox or something and see and if we can browse the web via something other than IE.

That will at least help us narrow down the problem.
    =

He already tried using FF.

Just woke up, trying to get my coffee so I am a little fuzzy...

Just to clarify, what you are saying is

Internet ----- router ------ ( 202.61.x.x)Exchange(192.168.0.2) ------- (192.168.0.3)Terminal Server

Where Terminal Server is using Exchange Server as DNS server and default gateway ?
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes