Docking Station - Logoff vs. Shutdown?

Thread: Docking Station - Logoff vs. Shutdown?

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar

Docking Station - Logoff vs. Shutdown?

Hey Guys,
    I have a really generic question about docking station "best practices". I tried to Google an answer but, I couldn't really figure out which key words to use so my results were far from what I was looking for.
    here's my question
    Is there any downside to just logging off and then undocking vs. powering down, then undocking a laptop?
    Any help would be appreciated!
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

AOs Resident Troll
    Probably best to power down...depending on the hardware used in the docking station...

I would think it would cause instablity and driver issues...if not powered down....as the docking station may use a PS2 mouse\keyboard, ...different monitor etc.

Also could harm the hardware....

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hi there ShagDevil,

I would agree with MLF. Not that I have had any problems that were associated with docking stations, but there again, I wouldnt have known because I would only have gotten the laptop with a problem?

I base my advice on USB devices and removable hard drives. If the thing is still powered up you might cause a surge or spike when you disconnect.

Also, if you power down you will have made double sure that writing from cache and applications closure has taken place in an orderly fashion. Pulling the plug won't get you any error messages that might be seen if you had a problem and shut down properly.

I don't know anything about the docking/undocking process, but I always recommend a proper shutdown/dismounting process with USB devices as I have encountered many tales of woe........... sure "the book" says you can "just unplug it"............. but why does the OS whine so bitterly when you do. It is worth the few extra seconds to be sure IMHO.

I agree with both morganlefay and nihil, power down is always a better option.

Wolfe.

why would you want to leave it on when you are undocking the thing anyway? surely the point is to take it somewhere else. For the duration of the journey surely its better to have the thing off and not wasting battery?
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I tend to agree with the powering down idea simply because (like it was mentioned) a lot of systems don't like abruptness like that. This is a client's system and she's pretty understanding about issues like this & (huge bonus here) she actually listens to what I tell her

I was just asking so I could get a general idea about what is the best practice. Common sense told me it's what you guys have said, but I wanted to check anyways. Thanks.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    why would you want to leave it on when you are undocking the thing anyway? surely the point is to take it somewhere else. For the duration of the journey surely its better to have the thing off and not wasting battery?
    Good point! I also believe most modern docking stations have an Undock option that is specfically used to undock the notebook. This will save alot of time as it only takes a few seconds as opposed to powering down. What brand/model notebook are we refering to and I can dig up the specifics.

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

While I do agree that powering down is the best solution.... I typically just put my laptop into standby...

I often find myself running somewhere else in the office where it is easier for me to just put it in standby and go plug into a switch or something than to power backup, go through the login script process blah blah... you get the idea.

In my experience i have noticed that about 1 in 20+ times Ill come across an issue where my wireless wont work properly or my laptop monitor wont come back (still trying to use the dock monitor). When this happens a simple reboot fixes the issue. I have been doing this for about 2 years and no significany issues with my laptop.

In short... best practice use the undock button or shutdown. Will standby hurt, based off experience
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    I believe any issues that would result from disonnecting the docking station incorrectly would be hardware related. As Spyrus says, things like the notebook still trying to use the docking station video.

Removing hardware incorrectly has always been an issue for software, hence the HotSwap Devices. So, correct me if i am wrong, but if your notebook treats the docking station as a HotSwap device and all the devices plugged into your docking station are hot swappable; Would I be wrong in saying removing the notebook while on will not be a problem in any manner at all?

Check your documentation..... have you read your manual??

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

have you read your manual??
    Yepper. The manual didn't really get into which is a better method. The only bit the manual covered was how to place the laptop into stand-by (by shutting the cover), then undocking it. Thing is, this laptop is never opened when it's docked. This particular client has double monitors setup at work. So, she comes in, docks the laptop (closed) and then goes about her business working off her two standard Dell monitors which are connected to the docking station.

It's not really a matter of which way is easier as this docking station makes it just as easy to shutdown as it is to log off. I'm just looking for which practice is better in theory. Thanks again for all the replies.