Thread: Vista Firewall

Vista Firewall

Im getting a new laptop (its being shipped) and it comes with vista home basic. Im gonna give it a whirl but what firewalls even work with vista?

Just Another Geek
    The one build-in?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Banned
    I've been using PC Tools Firewall Plus for a while now - it's free and compatible.

http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

Story: I use PC-Cillin Internet Suite 2006 on my laptop ( XP ) because I like the AV and the firewall has multiple configurations ( like home, wireless, office. ) It has some annoyances, but when I have to boot to Windows it does what I expect.

So when my son got his new computer ( Vista Home ) I attempted to install the 2007 version: it works now, but what a bear to install at first.

If you are going to use PC-Cillin ( only the 2007 version works with Vista ) and you have ATI graphics, PC-Cillin does not mix well with the ATI Catalyst software!

I finally ( after I found my own solution ) found an answer that I have not tried.
    They recommend installing it in stages: on first install DO NOT install the firewall, then once the AV is up and running, go back and install the firewall using PCCTool.exe .
    If you just go ahead and run the full install with the Catalyst software installed, the machine will lock, it won't let you uninstall PC-Cillin, .... a real mess. ( And Vista is so grand about what you can't do to try and fix it! Even as Administrator. )

What I chose was to just uninstall the Catalyst software, then load PC-Cillin.
    It is still using the graphics driver, just not the Catalyst software.
    He won't use that software anyway.

If and when ATI fixes it, maybe he'll decide to install it.

And like many other products, PC-Cillin checks for other anti-virus products ( and anti-spyware such as Spy-Bot ) and suggests you uninstall them first.
    ( for a list see What are the third party products that Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 detects during installation? )
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Sir Dice - is the built in firewall any good? I know it now supports inbound traffic but isn't the os still easily exploitable or prone to worms?

Negative - that firewall looks okay. How is it on system resources?

IKnowNot - I wont have ATI graphics it will be intel x3100 but thats good to know :-)

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    oofki,
    I use Vista Business and I like the firewall that comes with it. It's no longer limited to just blocking inbound. Under Administrative Tools, there's Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. I'm very impressed with the configuration options now.
    While it's not as easy to setup as third-party firewalls, I'm going to have to give MS a thumbs up for the work they put into it. Will it pass leak tests and the like? I have no idea. Hopefully someone has the time & resources to test this puppy sometime soon.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

I agree with ShagDevil on this one, I am running home premium and the built in firewall works well, and is easily configured. The notebook came with Norton's as well for AV protection.

Give the builtin firewall a look over before investing in a 3 party one.
    ~ I'm NOT insane! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years! ~ Somepeople are like Slinky's: Not good for anything, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face!

Yeah I will - ill have to do some testing with it. Thanks guys!!

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by oofki
    Sir Dice - is the built in firewall any good? I know it now supports inbound traffic but isn't the os still easily exploitable or prone to worms?
    It'll protect you from remote attacks.

A personal firewall has absolutely no use if you run everything as administrator. An administrator account has the privileges to open ports or even shutdown your PFW.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Negative
    I've been using PC Tools Firewall Plus for a while now - it's free and compatible.

http://www.pctools.com/firewall/
    I'll happily second this suggestion, i've been using it on my 2000pro, XP pro vista boxe's for some time now, and it does a excellent job