Thread: GP Folder Redirect problem

GP Folder Redirect problem

Ok, heres my problem now, that I cannot figure out.

I have a Win2k3 AD domain with a GP applied that redirects the users my documents folder to their home folder on the server.

This works nicely on all computers but 1.

This was just changed a while ago..we moved buildings and I took the opportunity to switch all users to the the 2k3 server...everyone use to run off of the 2000 server we had, but that is now demoted.

My documents use to re-direct to \\fs01\users\%user%

Now they re-direct to \\uam-dc\users\%user%

As I stated before the redirect worked on all PC's but one after the change to the new server. The users PC who is not re-directing still tries to re-direct to the old server.

Permissions are correct, I ran a Resultant Set of "logging" on the AD server, and it came back with an error about RPC server unavailble. I turned off her firewall, and made sure the WMI and RPC services were started, and that got rid of that error, but after the wizard is done running, it still shows that her my documents will be re-directed to the old location.

When I run Resultant Set of "planning", it shows that her PC should re-direct to the new location, but it doesn't...

I've been working on this freaking thing for the past 2 days, but no luck.

So if that isn't confusing enough, gonna say this one more time here to make sure I explain it clearly.

PC should redirect my documents to location A
    Instead it redirects to location B which is the old location and doesn't have the home directories anymore.

This works on everyone elses computer, and when I log into this users PC as myself it re-directs my "My Documents" folder to the proper server.

Things I've done thus far:

1. Logged into this PC to verify that it will re-direct other users.
    2. Removed PC from the Domain, then re-added.
    3. gpupdate and gpupdate /force
    4. gpresult

I logged in locally to the PC as a administrator to delete her account on the PC, but I didn't see her account on this PC.

Any ideas? I'm lost.

lol thanks
    =

Hmmmm,

Weird, it almost sounds as if the user's account/profile has gotten corrupted? any chance of just providing her with a new one?

run "gpupdate /force" to force a refresh of the group policy.
    See what the policy says now.

If that doesn't work, try to unjoin the workstation from the domain, reboot. Rejoin domain, reboot.

I've had problems where the computer account gets "lost" in active directory. It'll still able login and use network resources but won't get updated policies. Not sure how that happens. Aparently it happens to many other people... from my reading on google groups. It may just have been moved to the "lost and found folder" which doesn't have a GP set on it? So, it won't update. You can move items out of there and into the correct OU... unjoin/join will normally fix it.

EDIT: Ok, I now see that you've already tried what I was going to suggest. Is it possible that there is a duplicate machine? Do two PCs have the same name? Try changing the computer name? Can you change the folder redirection manually via local security policy? Does it change any other group policy settings? Or, is it in an OU that blocks inheritance?

I find it odd that when you sign in, it works for you but not the other user. Is something wrong with her domain user account? Does her user account have her pointing to her home directory instead of group policy?

As you can see, I'm just tossing out ideas.
    Last edited by phishphreek; July 21st, 2007 at 03:13 PM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I'll have to try applying a GP locally to her machine...and the changing her PC name.

If that doesn't work, I guess I can try creating a new user account and see what that does.

Thanks
    =

I'd go with phishphreek on this, try: gpupdate /wait:1

Run it a few times as it doesn't always work.

Did that like ten billion times.
    =

hmmmm.....
    run gpedit.msc and see if any settings have been overridden locally?

delete and recreate the account on the server (after backing up documents & favourites)

I had a problem not so long ago where a user logged on the domain on a laptop used at home and so he had freeserve in his profile, which clobbered the proxy settings and for some reason gp didn't change it back. Recreating the account fixed it.

The lone PC is the same OS as the rest right? its not one that got left as win 2k when the rest are XP?

theres not some software/virus thats messing with the gp?
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Ok...fixed it.

Logged in as Admin to that PC...did a Show hidden files / folders / protected files et cetc.

Went to C:\Documents and Setttings

Deleted this users folder from there...logged out, logged back in, and now we golden. Well almost golden....her My documents still isn't re-directing, but at least its normal now where I can tell it to manually re-direct from that PC.
    =

Very odd... why was it hidden in the first place? That user was mucking around...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

you had a crouppted local user profile, see it all the tiem unfortunaitly. you didn't have to blow out all of documents and settigns, just the profile file
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?