Knoppix drops to limited kernal

Thread: Knoppix drops to limited kernal

Knoppix drops to limited kernal

Hi, I really wanna try Linux, but my first experience is really bad.

I have downloaded knoppix, and burnt it and all, and all it does is boot to a limited kernal. It seems a lot of people have this problem, but no one can answer it. any ideas?
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Hi Jonny, what do you mean by:

and all it does is boot to a limited kernal
    What does it (or not) do? Could it be that you have just loaded a very basic version of the kernel without the various applications and GUI?

I'm guessing that he has loaded the live CD and it came to a command prompt - eh try typing boot!

Knoppix probably doesn't like your video card. Type "startx" at the prompt
    and note any errors you get (they'll be a bit cryptic). You might also try a
    different live cd:

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

Another option is to download VM Player along with the necessary livecd.iso
    machine for running Live CD's like Knoppix from within Windows. VM Player
    makes a nice test bed for those iso's.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Thanks for your advice guys I just needed to set screen=1280x1024 and works fine

However I am getting a little frustrated, I can't get on the net, though I can configure the wireless card to the point that it will pick up the network I use from this computer, yet no net.

I do not understand. I cannot configure much because it asks for an admin passwork which apparently you cannot use from the live cd, and it is not the same as the root passwork which I have sorted out.

I have no problem learning command line but for some retarded reason, knoppics does not use what seems to be standard or common syntax. for example, typing 1s does not do anything in knoppix and comes back as bad command.

any help here would be brilliant.

I am using a IBM thinkpad with a linksys wireless card in i. let me know what else I can tell you and how to find it in order to move on a little.

even if the answer is that the internet is not configureable from the cd would do. but I am reluctant to install linux onto my laptop if it has so many obscure bugs in the program.

regards

fracking up here
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyFrond
    I have no problem learning command line but for some retarded reason, knoppics does not use what seems to be standard or common syntax. for example, typing 1s does not do anything in knoppix and comes back as bad command.
    Try ls with a lowercase L not a 1 (one).
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

well I don't remember saying that that retarded reason wasn't me eh.

Anyone know any good places to start, as my experience here is not good. I keep having to reboot knoppix pretty much after doing just one thing at a time. for example. boots up, I go for a cup of tea, come back and it is on the screen saver asking me for a passwork I don't have... reboot.... start it up, configure desktop so that it doesn't ask for password start ice weasel..... says iceweasel is still running, try to stop it second guessing a kill command... doesn't work... can't find any task manager to stop programs.... have to boot into windows to see if internet connection is down.....

This is a little frustrating, I would just like to play around with it for like an hour or so because it looks fun, but I can't seem to get started anywhere, and I although I am aware that a properly installed version of Linux is probably a lot easier to deal with, I am reluctant to wipe a working computer at the moment.

I spose the thing is that I am running an IBM think pad with an intel chip, and linux does not seem very stable to me, it seems to lock up an awful lot. can someone just tell me that this is beginers luck or something, even some sort of Ctrl+Alt+Del type thing to get me out of a frozen computer would be lovely, any suggestions other than "stick to riding a motorbike mate" please

Yours the ever loving

Frondtard
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Jonny,

Stop messing around kid! Get yourself a copy of Ubuntu. If you fill out the form at their website they will post you a copy (or 10, or more) free of charge and they pay the post and packing. Seriously!

I just stuck an old copy of the live CD into a box and it installed itself just like that! I found the equivalent of process manager inside 30 seconds............ FireFox, e-mail............... I just blew myself up playing Minesweeper.......... much more generous and comprehensive games menu than Billy Windoze

It recognised the P4 setup, the 17" LCD flatscreen, standard 101 keyboard.......... even the Razer Boomslang 2000dpi USB mouse!!!

Hah! the screensaver has just kicked in............. flying toasters with slices of toast............. just went and moved the mouse and it takes me right back to the desktop..............

I haven't bothered with the internet setup or tried the printer but those took a bit of effort with Windows 2000, so I see no big deal there.

Just had another 30 seconds on it.............. found device manager......... hmmmm..............

It has recognised the USB ADSL modem, the HDD (put the maker's name in the description.........but I will let it off for that)

Got the generic 3.5" floppy and the DVD and CD drives (correct make and model as well!) Same with the soundcard and the GeForce3 video card.

OK, pulled up the office suite and went into word processing....."test", "test", "test" .............then click on "print"............. nothing?....arrrgh!

OK..............into device manager and "printers".......... damn thing knows that I have an HP Deskjet and even has a driver for it.............all I had to do was tell it to set it up? Ah! I know............ it assumed that I had attached that printer to use as a heated footrest?

OK, test page printed successfully

I think that you get the picture Jonny?.................... try a more user friendly distro to begin with?

EDIT:

I played a bit more on and off. The ADSL doesn't connect, and there are one or two other shortcomings, but this is an obsolete version of the software and getting bloody BT to work with Windows 2000 was a big issue anyway, and their crap runs off the C:\ drive not a CD.

Do I use Ubuntu?............ no.............Do I use Linux?............ no............ (other than as a recovery/forensics tool)...........

Why not?................... you go figure
    Last edited by nihil; August 3rd, 2007 at 12:01 AM.

hmm, interesting. The reason I am using knoppix is that I don't want to mangle a perfectly working IBM thinkpad with windows 2000.

I was kinda hoping that linux would be a much quicker on my old thinkpad, and a bit of fun. But it is not user friendly really. I am on it now, but it is slow, the resolution is not good, but the screensavers are fun, and it feels like I know something that other people don't.

I guess I am trying to learn a new skill too, and want to go a little deeper into the operating system which is something that I find you cannot do with windows. Maybe I will just be a little patient and wait till I have another pc I can trust to connect to the net.

Thanks for your input, but I will leave Linux to the geeks for the moment I think.

Jonny the Microsoft Lover (egh bloody pervert! get away from me)
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Hmmm, what model of thinkpad and what are the specs?

I found this, which might be of interest:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

At least to the Frondygeek sector of your drive?

I have Linux (various) but I only play with it rather than use it.........I did use it when I was living in London but that is some time ago now.

The reasons I don't bother with it as a serious OS are quite simple:

1. I make my money out of Windows and applications that run under it. Otherwise it is commercial Unix.

2. The ADSL modems I have are not Linux friendly, neither is my ISP (BT). I haven't tried the latest jokeodem they sent me a couple of months ago........ a wireless jobby with "WEP security encryption" (excuse me whilst I genuflect............ hmmm, can't seem to find a genuflect smilie so this will have to do ) And it doesn't support Vista!!!!

I recall the internet connection problem back then with dial-up connections. I got round it by using external modems as most of the internal stuff were WinModems and wouldn't work with Linux at all.

As for speed. I do not believe that Linux is inherently faster, it is just that it is easier to find a distro with a limited GUI and it is the Gooey that clogs up your machine (Linux, Doze or Mac)

Just a few thoughts