Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OMFG Is this a joke?

I am pretty sure that MSXP will be the last Microsoft OS I own.

The adware framework would leave almost no data untouched in its quest
    to sell you stuff. It would inspect “user document files, user e-mail
    files, user music files, downloaded podcasts, computer settings,
    computer status messages (e.g., a low memory status or low printer
    ink),” and more.
    I think this could be really bad for PR... but hey, they're microsoft... and the masses love them.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

It will be fun to see what happens in the EU............ we don't grant patents for criminal activities and we have some brains.......... no lawyer and other reptile smallprint gets around that.

A contract condoning an illegal act is in itself illegal, and therefore unenforceable .........

Without my specific and knowledgeable permission (in writing or verbally infront of witnesses) we have:

1. "Inspecting user document files"................a crime
    2. "Inspecting user e-mail files" .......... a crime
    3. "Inspecting user music files" ..........a crime
    4. "Inspecting downloaded podcasts ....... a crime
    5. "Inspecting computer settings & computer status messages ........ a crime

Kind of behaviour I would expect of a drug baron? ............. hmmmm, doesn't a certain WGIII have a conviction for narcotics? ................

Seems he wants to re-write your bloody constitution now?

As ever, my offer to endorse your application to rejoin the Commonwealth stands.............

As ever, my offer to endorse your application to rejoin the Commonwealth stands.............
    Nihil, Show me where to sign
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Im guessing that, since they are trying to get this patent approved, they will probably be sneaky in how you accept the terms and conditions. Such as the EULA when you install the OS or something. I however don't think that it will be approved because it was filed last year and it hasn't gone through yet. Thats not really saying much but all of the patents I've heard going through usually took less than 6 months.

Way to go MS, just take advantage of the fact that you control most of the OS market.

So...... If they do this..... Does that mean that they will be able to look into companies databases and target ads based on their data? Yeah right this isn't gonna happen.... Right?
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

No..............it is the America you know and love?
    Only in America
    Indeed, thank God I live in Britian.[sic]

Here are some more wacky patents from you crazy Americans:

Reminder and Enforcer Apparatus <- Reminding kids to wear there braces - by implanting an alarm in ther mouths!

Or how about the

Apparatus for Facilitating the Birth of a Child by Centrifugal Force. You know when your spinning around and you feel dizzy? Try giving birth at the same time!

Found these at www.bpmlegal.com/weird.html

As for Microsoft - tut tut. O well, I use linux.
    Last edited by Haggis; July 27th, 2007 at 11:07 AM. Reason: cringeworthy spelling mistake

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    It's a patent... Nothing more, nothing less..
    Now think of movies like Minority Report where advertising is exactly this; gathering information about who you are in order to sell you a product successfully!

The patent simply means that in one of the many possible futures IF.... IF the idea becomes real then the patent holder owns all the rights and profits. Even if the patent was filed for a far out idea that seems impossible, but just so happened to used some time in the future for futuristic reasons...... get my drift? I found it hard to put in words

[edit]In summary. If you have a patent on an idea, you own the rights to it. My thoughts would be that M$ will be patenting any lop sided ideas from their staff and "other" sources, Just In Case - for money! [/edit]
    Last edited by CybertecOne; July 27th, 2007 at 01:57 PM.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Only in America?

This ain't the only place one can buy justice.

Yar!, it just costs more here!
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar

Thumbs down

So let me get this straight...I'm kind of slow.

Microsoft now has a patented way to invade my privacy?

Freakin' outstanding!

And since it's "patented", everyone else that wants to do it has to pay royalties?

The line between genius and madness just got thinner.
    Windows 9x: n. A collection of 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor. Written by a 2 bit company that can\'t stand 1 bit of competition.