Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie setting up a web

Newbie setting up a web

Hey Guys and girls,

I'm a newbie when it comes to web development, and I just bought a domain name . The domain is now registerd but I have no idea on what to do next, I searched the net but all I could find was info on how to design and do html and all that...... this isn't what I want!! as I'm not even there yet.

Can you guys help me out on step by step thing, on the best and cheapest possible way to set up this thing?

Any comments are welcome please feel free to say whatever....

TK

Ok, so you have registered your domain - the next thing you need to do is find a cheap hosting company.

But first, what do you intend on doing with the website, is it to be database driven or just plain text/images?

Do you know any programming languages?

Just Another Geek
    Search for a hosting provider. There's a couple of million of them.. You can rent a bit of space on a server and host your site there.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirDice
    Search for a hosting provider. There's a couple of million of them.. You can rent a bit of space on a server and host your site there.
    Thank you Sirdice, you're always a help. I understand that the next thing is to find a host that will host it.... Did you say rent a bit of space on a server?
    would this be free/cheaper?

Wolfetone, Thank you I intend on setting up something like a store with a checkout.... I'm looking at host companies but geez theres soooooooo many.
    Oh yes I have a book on HTML and XHTML.

Well if you need a checkout system, then you need a Hosting Company which supports a database SQL/MySQL etc and either ASP/PHP.

Just things to consider. Any yes you will have to pay for hosting with these features.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfeTone
    Well if you need a checkout system, then you need a Hosting Company which supports a database SQL/MySQL etc and either ASP/PHP.

Just things to consider. Any yes you will have to pay for hosting with these features.
    I think I found one that supports these. just another Question here .... The host company has a monthly rate, do they make you a web design and launch it for you or is that asking too much?

Just Another Geek
    You basically have 2 options as far as hosting is concerned.. One is dedicated hosting, here you'll rent a full server and you get full access to the machine to do whatever you want. The other is called shared hosting, with this you just get a bit of space on a server. This server is shared with others like you. Shared is cheaper but is usually a bit more limited as to what can be run on it. Looking at what you want to do I think shared hosting will do for now.

Things to look for are email (you'll probably want to send/receive email on your domain name), database (sometimes you have to pay extra for this)..

And about the content.. You need to create it.. Or hire someone that can do it for you. Hosting providers only give you a place and the infrastructure to run your site.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirDice
    You basically have 2 options as far as hosting is concerned.. One is dedicated hosting, here you'll rent a full server and you get full access to the machine to do whatever you want. The other is called shared hosting, with this you just get a bit of space on a server. This server is shared with others like you. Shared is cheaper but is usually a bit more limited as to what can be run on it. Looking at what you want to do I think shared hosting will do for now.

Things to look for are email (you'll probably want to send/receive email on your domain name), database (sometimes you have to pay extra for this)..

And about the content.. You need to create it.. Or hire someone that can do it for you. Hosting providers only give you a place and the infrastructure to run your site.
    Thanks dude They don't say if they'll give me a full server or not, but that's the cheaper option so I figured it must be the other were you share, which is fine by me.

Here's the one I was looking at getting for 14.95

http://www.webhosting.com/WHCWEB/shared/windows/
    Last edited by Broomiebar; July 24th, 2007 at 03:35 PM.

http://gate.com/

i used gate.com always and looks like its cheaper than what you found with all the features and some ?? look thru it the cheapest plan is 9.95/mo and you get more website space and date transfer etc....

http://www.gate.com/unix/mach_1.htm
    O.G at A.O

Banned
    The easiest and cheapest solution is to buy your domain hosting before you buy your domain name, for two reasons: most hosting firms will throw in a free domain name (so you won't have to buy it separately), and you won't have to deal with the mess often created (DNS records...) when ordering your hosting from a different company than your domain name (I've had cases where it took days and tons of phone calls).

As for web hosting: there are thousands of options available, as already pointed out. The AT&T hosting Broomiebar posted sounds ridiculously expensive to me... so does Copyright's for that matter

I use eBoundHost for all my domains: for $9.95 a month, you get 3,000 GB transfer (compare to Copyright's 200GB), 300GB space (compare to Copyright's 5GB), 5,000 mailboxes (compared to Copyright's 500), and a free domain name. They have one for $6.95 a month, too (also with a free domain name).