Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie setting up a web

Holy **** Neg, i like your option more than mine too, thanks for that one
    O.G at A.O

I suggest you do some more research through google and follow forums which are fully dedicated to website hosting and such. I would strongly suggest spend some quality time going through posts in webmasters forum. " http://www.webmasterworld.com/home.htm ". If you do your research before asking questions things seems much more easier to understand.

Also one more thing to note is that, even though life will be easier for you if you learn/understand html/php/css , it's definately not a pre-requisite, you will probably go by fine without even knowing any of those in the short term, in the long term it would be wise to get yourself accustomed to it. The reason I am saying this is because it seems like you want to go professional with this site and if you will add checkout system and such, there is absolutely no way you will learn coding in 1 month (php/javascript), you will probably end up using automated portals like mambo and joomla.

Like I said spend some quality time doing online reaseach, hacking forum is perhaps not the best place IMO, with all due respect.

Cheers,
    pavs

I currently use StreamLine ( http://www.streamline.net/ ) I have the unlimnited package for £68 ish per year.

I get everything I need for the fee including unlimited bandwidth, which is what ultimatley made me go with them.

From start to finish it takes about 5 minutes to create, setup and have access to. Obviously DNS takes a little longer.

You can chose between Linux or Windows and a whole range of different databases, scripting options etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia
    I currently use StreamLine ( http://www.streamline.net/ ) I have the unlimnited package for £68 ish per year.

I get everything I need for the fee including unlimited bandwidth, which is what ultimatley made me go with them.

From start to finish it takes about 5 minutes to create, setup and have access to. Obviously DNS takes a little longer.

You can chose between Linux or Windows and a whole range of different databases, scripting options etc.
    Just a note, there is nothing known as unlimited bandwidth. It's not possible.
    http://www.findmyhosting.com/truthunlimited.htm

cheers
    pavs

Banned
    Just a note, there is nothing known as unlimited bandwidth. It's not possible.
    http://www.findmyhosting.com/truthunlimited.htm
    Depends on how you look at it... There are - contrary to what the article seems to hint at - hosting providers that do not put limits on traffic. When Nokia says "unlimited bandwidth", I understand it to mean (as does he, I bet) "unlimited traffic," meaning that they won't shut down your site after x gigabytes of traffic. Of course this doesn't mean that the site's server can take 5 billion connections per second, or that the server can transfer gigabytes of data per second, which is what the article explains.

If someone says "unlimited bandwidth" when talking about a host, I take it to mean "no limits on montly traffic, other than the limits inherent to the hardware."

Actually there is a limit to the bandwidth, it's not just about hardware. let's say I will host a video streaming server, they will just not allow you to do it for 68 bucks a month.

It's just a ploy to get in customers, if you don't read the fine lines you are screwed.

cheers,
    pavs

Banned
    Actually there is a limit to the bandwidth, it's not just about hardware. let's say I will host a video streaming server, they will just not allow you to do it for 68 bucks a month.
    And actually - as I already pointed out in my above post - there are hosters that do not have the "fine lines", that do not have traffic limits, no matter how many times you're going to say that there are.

Ok I will admit I am wrong...
    As long as you give me atleast one site that supports your point.

cheers,
    pavs

Banned
    Again, those limits are because of the hardware, not because your hosting provider wants to "trick you" - you'll see that disclaimers on "unmetered" or "unlimited" traffic only mention hardware limitations, as I'll demonstrate especially for you below.

A simple example of what most hosters do when they offer "unlimited traffic":

- Hoster offers a shared 10MBps pipe, shared by all "unlimited traffic" customers. That 10MBps is not metered, and its limit is a hardware limit, namely that it can only transfer 10 MB per second.

- 10MB per second = 25,920,000 MB per month <-- that right there is the limit, and that limit is determined by the hardware and by nothing else. QED.

Just Another Geek
    Perhaps I'm not reading this right but....
    Un-restricted Visitor Bandwidth:
    Bandwidth (data transfer) is a measure of the amount of data transferred by your Website. For example if your Website is a total of 1mb and 1000 people view it in one month the bandwidth used for that month would be 1000mb (1Gb). If we cannot host your Website due to high bandwidth we will refund the entire hosting fee.
    http://www.streamline.net/uu.php
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.