Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie setting up a web

Pavs yes there is a physical limit to how many bits persecond you push...that is not the relivent issue, some ISP's limit your bits per day, or bits per month, soem even drop your site when you reach that limit....ISP's tha offer unlimited bandwidth do not have daily or monthly caps.

I say this as the former owner of a hosting company that had no caps.
    Last edited by bballad; July 25th, 2007 at 04:56 PM.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Broomie,

It sounds like you want to get really in depth and professional with this site but you should at least (at least) spend 6 months learning the in's and out's of web programming and security. For the type of site you are wanting to make, security is at utmost importance for an e-commerce site like that. I have spent almost a year learning about online transactions, database design and all areas of securing it. Im still learning and don't think I will ever be able to stop because of the constant technology changes. Just one book on HTML will not cut it for what im guessing what you want to do with your site. You will need books on PHP/ASP/ASP.NET depending on which language you choose. Then you will need to learn the security practices to make sure the site and its customers stay protected. Also you will need to learn about the technologies that usually follow along such as XML, JS, SSL, etc.

As far as what hosting you should choose. Take your time and research all of the options. i spent a few weeks looking into who i wanted for my sites and ended up choosing (i guess i'll throw my choice out there too) ixwebhosting. Mainly because they gave us a freaking amazing deal on a business plan. If you are wanting to make an online store, i would suggest getting something more than the basic plan because those plans normally don't seem to accommodate online stores needs. Usually database size is limited along with bandwidth and storage size. But, for learning purposes, a basic plan would work great and save you money while you hone your web skills.

Sorry for the rant. I just wanted to share some of what took me a long time(and counting ) to learn.

Good luck
    Last edited by mungyun; July 25th, 2007 at 05:57 PM.
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by bballad
    Pavs yes there is a physical limit to how many bits persecond you push...that is not the relivent issue, some ISP's limit your bits per day, or bits per month, soem even drop your site when you reach that limit....ISP's tha offer unlimited bandwidth do not have daily or monthly caps.

I say this as the former owner of a hosting company that had no caps.
    Ok bballad hear me out. With all due respect I don't know what you guys think unlimited means, but this is EXACTLY what unlimited means:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/unlimited

1. not limited; unrestricted; unconfined: unlimited trade.
    2. boundless; infinite; vast: the unlimited skies.
    3. without any qualification or exception; unconditional.

So I don't understand where "Unlimited Bandwidth as long as it is within the limits of a 10MBps" means "Unlimited Bandwidth".

What you "think" they mean by unlimited is not the point. Hence, it's a wrong advertisement.

Cheers,
    pavs

Banned
    pavs: I clearly stated that "If someone says "unlimited bandwidth" when talking about a host, I take it to mean "no limits on montly traffic, other than the limits inherent to the hardware," and you wrongly decided to start arguing about the "hardware" part in the statement.

What you "think" they mean by unlimited is not the point.
    "Unlimited" has a specific meaning in this case, which I explained above. If you're so flabbergasted by this, check the example of "unlimited" you posted: "the unlimited skies." Last time I checked, the skies aren't unlimited in the meaning you try to pin on it

Quote Originally Posted by Negative
    pavs: I clearly stated that "If someone says "unlimited bandwidth" when talking about a host, I take it to mean "no limits on montly traffic, other than the limits inherent to the hardware," and you wrongly decided to start arguing about the "hardware" part in the statement.

"Unlimited" has a specific meaning in this case, which I explained above. If you're so flabbergasted by this, check the example of "unlimited" you posted: "the unlimited skies." Last time I checked, the skies aren't unlimited in the meaning you try to pin on it
    I still think it's false advertisement, But we can have different opinions.

cheers,
    pavs

Banned
    Resepct

Quote Originally Posted by mungyun
    Broomie,

It sounds like you want to get really in depth and professional with this site but you should at least (at least) spend 6 months learning the in's and out's of web programming and security. For the type of site you are wanting to make, security is at utmost importance for an e-commerce site like that. I have spent almost a year learning about online transactions, database design and all areas of securing it. Im still learning and don't think I will ever be able to stop because of the constant technology changes. Just one book on HTML will not cut it for what im guessing what you want to do with your site. You will need books on PHP/ASP/ASP.NET depending on which language you choose. Then you will need to learn the security practices to make sure the site and its customers stay protected. Also you will need to learn about the technologies that usually follow along such as XML, JS, SSL, etc.

As far as what hosting you should choose. Take your time and research all of the options. i spent a few weeks looking into who i wanted for my sites and ended up choosing (i guess i'll throw my choice out there too) ixwebhosting. Mainly because they gave us a freaking amazing deal on a business plan. If you are wanting to make an online store, i would suggest getting something more than the basic plan because those plans normally don't seem to accommodate online stores needs. Usually database size is limited along with bandwidth and storage size. But, for learning purposes, a basic plan would work great and save you money while you hone your web skills.

Sorry for the rant. I just wanted to share some of what took me a long time(and counting ) to learn.

Good luck
    Thank you Mungyun, I might have rushed with it but I just wanted to secure the web names before they get taken as I had quite a trouble finding anything untaken. I sure will take my own time now finding a reliable host, as well as learning all those names you suggested.

I plan on slowly developing it within 1 year, and that will give me plenty of time to learn but thanks for those pointers I'll make sure to get into them at some point along the way, Thank you.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Negative
    The easiest and cheapest solution is to buy your domain hosting before you buy your domain name, for two reasons: most hosting firms will throw in a free domain name (so you won't have to buy it separately), and you won't have to deal with the mess often created (DNS records...) when ordering your hosting from a different company than your domain name (I've had cases where it took days and tons of phone calls).

As for web hosting: there are thousands of options available, as already pointed out. The AT&T hosting Broomiebar posted sounds ridiculously expensive to me... so does Copyright's for that matter

I use eBoundHost for all my domains: for $9.95 a month, you get 3,000 GB transfer (compare to Copyright's 200GB), 300GB space (compare to Copyright's 5GB), 5,000 mailboxes (compared to Copyright's 500), and a free domain name. They have one for $6.95 a month, too (also with a free domain name).
    I actually found a better offer than the AT&T but that's even better than that one too. Thank you Negative, Wow! I think it's cool that you've become a mod, Congratulations Man!.

Banned
    I think it's cool that you've become a mod, Congratulations Man!.
    I've been a mod for as long as I can remember
    Good luck with the site

OK, found it !

Unlimited space, unlimited bandwidth, php, mysql, ftp ....
    and no ads for FREE, check it out .

http://www.igotfree.com/