Thread: Can't watch youtube with firewall enabled.

Can't watch youtube with firewall enabled.

The title tells my issue. First some information. Running windows XP home sp2. I have symantec corporate edition anti-virus and firewall. Updated definitions. I have to turn my firewall off to be able to watch youtube videos. Any of them. Its the only site I have issues with though. Anywhere else that does flash vids plays on through. I call myself googling for answers but I never found any help. Come ladies and gents, tell me what you got for info.

Thanks

Check your firewall settings to make sure that Youtube is recorded as a trusted site and is not blocked. That is really all it can be given that other sites work.

Also clear your cookies and cache, although that shouldn't be the problem you never know............ Norton is prone to do weird things from time to time?
    Last edited by nihil; July 29th, 2007 at 02:01 AM.

check the adblocking settings in the nortan app also, i remember that i had to add video related sites into the add rule just so it would let me view the videos.

Look in the logs and it'll tell you which rule is blocking you. I've had some screwy problems with the intrusion prevention and I've had to disable a rule here and there to get it to work with production applications. (either that, or add that remote address to my trusted sites/list.)

I wouldn't be surprised if it's blocking flash given the security problems with it lately.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's blocking flash given the security problems with it lately.
    If that were the case it wouldn't allow Flash, period?

Its the only site I have issues with though. Anywhere else that does flash vids plays on through
    I think that you may have a point with the "recent security problems" idea. I wonder if he can play a flash movie off MySpace?
    Last edited by nihil; July 30th, 2007 at 08:44 AM.

Update:

I tried adjusting everything I saw without just completely turning it all off. And I got nothing. I deleted cookies and temp files. Still nothing. I then uninstalled and reinstalled my firewall and ... nothing. But I guess I should have mentioned this earlier, but it wouldnt work in firefox either. Anyways, after the reinstallment ie is still not doing it but firefox is now, so Im happy enough. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and advice. Its always a pleasure do hear from you all.

Thanks

Sounds like the firewall is perhaps blocking the URL, or flash content within that URL. You could throw a packet sniffer on the incoming interface, like Ethereal (free) to rule out layer three and layer four filtering. The best way to do this is to run a comparison, like with I.E. and Firefox both on Youtube and a site that does work that uses Adobe Flash to view the videos. It is obviously the firewall and/or anti-virus---corporate editions are normally for filtering outgoing packets also, not just incoming. If you don't need the corporate edition, like if you don't have users on your network abusing policies, then I would just use a home, personal edition.
    Out of curiosity, what other sites DOI work? Ebaum's World? MySpace?

Tim

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I was curious as to why you have the corporate edition too ????
    as it is mainly designed for the corporate arena :doh:
    and as such it could well have certain restrictions built in

can you access a 'standard' copy of Symantec's S/W ?
    or, if it IS a personal PC, ditch the pay for S/W and go for the freebies
    AVG for A/V and ZA for a F/W
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I am using the corporate edition because I got it for free when from one of my friends in the army who had a copy he could "spare". I use avg antivirus and antispyware for second choice. As for using the packet sniffer...... still havent figured that damned thing out.