Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cisco announces end of Linksys brand name?

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar

Cisco announces end of Linksys brand name?

Talking to Euro press at a roundtable Cisco CEO John Chambers said (in somewhat broken English) Linksys was 'end of life' and the networking giant would soon pull its products under the larger Cisco tag.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/networ...nksys-Brand/p1
    Windows 9x: n. A collection of 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor. Written by a 2 bit company that can\'t stand 1 bit of competition.

About time, It's going to be confusing though as currenty if someone says Linksys you kinda think home router or low end SME type stuff, if they say Cisco then you start thinking IOS grade equipment...

Wonder what's behind that. It's not like Linksys isn't a hugely known name, and a successful one.

Hi folks,

I guess that it is simple corporate economics (if not politics). I worked for an outfit many years ago that had two major brand names in the power tools market, and decided to merge them.

It costs a bit to get the idea across to the market in the first instance but after that it is way cheaper and more effective to just promote the one brand name and corporate image.

Naturally they have decided to go with the more expensive and (perceived) higher quality brand name.

I guess we will still see most of the old Linksys products with the Cisco badge?

I think they kept it as the average home user is probably more familiar with the brand Linksys than they are with Cisco, but now they have took Linksys into the corporate market there is probably no need to keep the brand as the opposite is true - Cisco is more known that Linksys in the cooperate market...

I would say that's a certainty. My dad and cousin are familiar with Linksys, as are most of the users on our general PC troubleshooting forum, but I bet you none of them's heard of Cisco.

That is really strange to me... AFAIK Linksys is the most popular brand of routers out there. I think just keeping the name would beinift cisco monitarily at least..

That's what I would think too. Doesn't make sense. You spend years and tons of cash to make a brand name universally known, then you ditch it? Sounds like a graduate of the Keystone Cops school of business.

Hi Guys,

Please let me explain from my experience in a slightly different electronics field.

We had two major brand names in the professional tools field. One for drilling hammers (electro pneumatic), transformers and generators, and the other for professional power tools such as hand drills, hammer drills, circular saws, jigsaws, orbital sanders, belt sanders and so on.

You could not buy these down your local DIY store............. these were professional tools.

OK, after many years of belonging to the same holding company, the idea gets through that we are really selling into different segments of the same overall market.

Using the cross leverage of the brand names we embarked on a consolidation plan under the one name, and took that of the manufacturer of the larger equipment. Like the stuff you would hire or lease?

That is what Cisco are doing, but they will embark on a campaign to make the public aware of Cisco being the industrial strength "big brother" of Linksys. That will impress home/small users as they will see the big boys using Cisco kit.

You can then start on a cost cutting and consolidation exercise ............. I bet someone in Cisco is a Sick Sigma black testicle or whatever they like to call themselves

EDIT:

Hey, been there, done that, and it worked seamlessly................ maybe they need a consultant with superglued English............. I only cost $20,000 per diem (plus expenses of course)............. minimum contract 18 months................... ?
    Last edited by nihil; August 3rd, 2007 at 09:24 AM.

I dont think that still makes sense though. A lot of home users have not heard of cisco so why would they be impressed with the logo? Personally it doesnt even phase me either because I doubt cisco has helped modify newer linksys products anyways.

You are right about the market segments no doubt. Linsys is for basic home users and Cisco is more advanced. I think if they pull the name and throw home cisco routers for $40 they will lose a lot of home users and gain a small ammount of people who think cisco makes a great product - their loses would HAVE to be greater then their profits. Short term at least..