Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Built In Bluetooth?

Built In Bluetooth?

Hi

I am using a Dell latitude D620 with built in bluetooth (work laptop) and just recently purchased a Microsoft Presenter Mouse 8000 (bluetooth) and I cannot seem to get it to connect to the laptop without using the USB Transceiver. I've installed updated drivers from M$ website, have turned on Bluetooth Discovery in control panel... enabled it in bios as well... I don't know what else to try really.

I had the Helpdesk guys come look at it and they couldn't figure it out either

Has anyone had an issue with the mouse not connecting to the PC via internal bluetooth receiver? Any help would be much appreciated.

Did you read the manual that came with the mouse? It probably has unique instructions on howto get that mouse to work.

Yes, I believe Microsoft have?

IMPORTANT: For best results and Bluetooth® device compatibility, use the included Microsoft Mini Bluetooth Transceiver. Service Pack 2 is required with Windows XP.
    It looks like you are supposed to use the transceiver?

Hmm maybe it is proprietary? RTFM either way :-p

I have RTFM... (folded up piece of paper with 5 steps on how to setup mouse using their USB transceiver) I have downloaded the PDF from M$... no help...the "mouse help" readme file says to contact the computer manufacturer to use a different transceiver.. which is no help to me because I know for sure I have a built in transceiver in the laptop that works because it detects my phone with no problems.

I wouldn't think that M$ would force you to use their USB transceiver but who knows.. if that ends up being the case this mouse is going back. I can buy a hell of a lot cheaper wireless mouse anywhere with a USB transceiver. I was just hoping this one would work without it.

thanks for the help anyway

Basically, I think that what MS are saying is that the mouse will work if you use their transceiver but may not if you don't.

Well, based on the fact that he know how to navigate BIOS, I'm guessing that he did RTFM as one of the attempts to figuring out his problem.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...th_compat.mspx
    Use other Bluetooth transceivers

You may be able to use another Bluetooth transceiver, such as one built into a notebook computer, to operate your Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse.

However, your other Bluetooth transceiver must use the Microsoft Windows Bluetooth software to provide all the features your keyboard and mouse has to offer.

Different transceivers on the market may use one of several different versions of Bluetooth software, but only the Microsoft Windows Bluetooth software provides full support for your keyboard and mouse. To find out what Bluetooth software your current transceiver is using, see the documentation included with it.

Depending on your other Bluetooth transceiver features, you may be able to change the software it uses to the Microsoft Windows Bluetooth software. This more complex scenario is not supported by Microsoft, and you may have to reconnect your existing Bluetooth devices if you are successful.

Using a different transceiver for your Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard or mouse is not supported by Microsoft. For more details, see the documentation included with your other transceiver.
    So it looks like you might be able to use the built in transceiver but you might not get the extra functionality that that mouse has.
    Last edited by mungyun; July 27th, 2007 at 07:15 PM.
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

The easiest solution if you already have a Bluetooth transceiver is to use the Microsoft Mini USB Bluetooth Transceiver for your keyboard and mouse only. This way, you can continue using your other Bluetooth transceiver as you did before without losing any connections.

When the Microsoft transceiver detects an existing Bluetooth transceiver, it runs a separate connection. This connection is limited to your Microsoft keyboard and mouse devices only, so you still get the same wireless performance without interfering with your existing Bluetooth connections.
    It looks like the MS mouse isn't really intended to be compatible with other tranceivers?

I think it actually is intended to be compatable with built in receivers by reading this on M$:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883970/en-us

Q4: I have a computer that has Bluetooth built in. Can I use the Microsoft Bluetooth-enabled keyboard and mouse without using the USB transceiver?

A4: You might have this question if you have a portable computer that is Bluetooth-enabled. The Wireless Optical Desktop for Bluetooth includes the USB transceiver because few desktop computers support Bluetooth. If your computer has Bluetooth built in and if your computer has the Human Interface Device profile, you may be able to connect the Bluetooth-enabled keyboard and mouse directly. If you want to use a specific internal Bluetooth-enabled radio, contact the manufacturer of your portable computer to determine whether the internal Bluetooth-enabled radio is supported by Windows XP Service Pack 2. Over time, this issue may disappear as manufacturers offer newer radio firmware.
    So i'm not giving up all hope...thinking there has got to be something i'm missing here... maybe some booze and a big hammer will fix it...

I don't read it that way:

If your computer has Bluetooth built in and if your computer has the Human Interface Device profile, you may be able to connect the Bluetooth-enabled keyboard and mouse directly.
    That is not what I would describe as intention. What it says to me is it might work and if it doesn't the MS tranceiver will.

Check the Dell site to make sure that you have the latest BIOS and Bluetooth firmware. DO NOT ASSUME that because the computer is "new" that this will be the case. I recall having problems with an ATi video card. Its date of manufacture was 4 weeks before I bought it. I went to the ATi website and sure enough there was a revised driver/management release that was one week old............ it worked after that

If that doesn't solve anything you should contact Dell support. Microsoft have made their position quite clear. They provided a mouse with a transceiver that will work with it (as you know) they couldn't care less about your problem.