Thread: Kittens kill Spammers?

Kittens kill Spammers?

This probably belongs in Tech Humour?

http://www.snpx.com/securitynews/art...ution_to_spam?

The problem is spammers signing on to websites or services. This has been done by "bots" and techniques such as CAPTCHA have been used to counteract the bots.

It would seem that the latest generation of bots have found a way to interpret CAPTCHAs, at least the more common implementations, and this is another method of control.

Basically it is nothing more sophisticated than asking a security question.

I have my personal doubts, as I do not believe that this form of spamming is entirely automated, like e-mail tends to be. I am of the opinion that there is a human element involved, at least at the account set-up stage.

I think that there are parts of the World where $40 per month would be a nice income, or certainly a supplement? If there are people who find it worthwhile earning one cent per click it shouldn't be too difficult to find the staff?

In case you are wondering, I got the $40(USD) from a wildlife program on TV the other night........... that was what the Park Rangers were getting paid.

yes, there is a new generation of spam bots specifically designed to target forums. It was created by programmers in Russia and is for sale on their website. I'm not going to give the name because I don't wish to give them any more publicity, but they have a long list of IPs and e-mails which they use to join forums, and they can get past the CAPTCHA system.

However large the list of IPs and e-mails is, it is not infinite. Moreover, if your forum software allows blocking of partial e-mails, the list can be shortened considerably since it seems they tend to use different variations of the same word fragments.

Since we moderate new users posts anyway, the point is moot. None of their spam ever gets through to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    yes, there is a new generation of spam bots specifically designed to target forums. It was created by programmers in Russia and is for sale on their website. I'm not going to give the name because I don't wish to give them any more publicity,
    You mean this website?
    http://antichat.ru ?

I didn't think California was in Russia

http://www.messageboardblaster.com/pro/

Hey Hey,

Check out RSnake's post on the subject from a while back... People are indeed being paid to sit and solve CAPTCHAS

http://ha.ckers.org/blog/20070427/so...chas-for-cash/

The economics are as follows: 300-500 CAPTCHAs per person per hour. The clients pay between $9-15 per 1000 CAPTCHAs solved. The team works around 12 hours a day per person. That means they can solve somewhere around 4800 CAPTCHAs per day per person, and depending on how hard the CAPTCHAs are that can run you around $50 per day per person (his estimate). The reason it’s not higher is because they take breaks, and fail sometimes.