Thread: BlackIce replacement?

BlackIce replacement?

If you are currently a user of the BlackIce firewall product (home/SOHO version) you will need to look for a replacement.

IBM bought the company a while back and have announced that they are discontinuing the sale and support of the home user product:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...c=rss-security

I cannot say that I was ever that impressed with it personally. Anyways there are plenty of other solutions out there

I use to use this a long time ago. When it was still good. Since then I've moved on to hardware firewalls.

Yeah blackice was good for a short while. Then it became is bad and holey as ZA.

Developer Extraordinar
    I've you've got an extra computer hanging around somewheres, I'd give IPCop a shot. I've been using it for both my home network, and my servers, and it works great, even on old hardware, and has a lot of great things, Snort for IDS, squid, etc.

Other wise, I'm afraid I can't be much help, since it's been awhile since I've used Windows for a desktop. I have used Outpost firewall, and liked it, and there is both a "Free" and "Pro" version.

Good luck,
    enmand

IBM ISS ANNOUNCEMENT: IBM Internet Security Systems has announced the End of Life for BlackICE PC Protection...
    Another reason to hate IBM.

I saw that Sunbelt Software was offering free copies of their firewall produce to abandoned BlackICE customers. See their blog posting here:
    http://sunbeltblog.blogspot.com/2007...rewall-to.html

I've heard a lot of good things about Comodo Firewall. It may be worth checking out as a replacement.

http://www.download.com/Comodo-Firew...ml?tag=lst-0-1

Also, I've used ZoneAlarm (granted I used Pro not the free version) and really liked it.

Hmmmm.... well, haven't tried out many of them personally. however What about the hardware firewall? Do they cost a lot and how much can we modify them? Actually, i think that id the firewall is hardware based, there might not be too much customizable.

And what about the firewalls that could run on the Linux?
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jockey0109
    Hmmmm.... well, haven't tried out many of them personally. however What about the hardware firewall? Do they cost a lot and how much can we modify them? Actually, i think that id the firewall is hardware based, there might not be too much customizable.

And what about the firewalls that could run on the Linux?
    You can turn an old machine with two NIC cards, a floppy disk drive (and disk) with no hard drive into a "hardware" firewall. There are a bunch of different ways to strip down Linux to make it work. Here's one example:

http://www.jimweller.net/jims/lfw/

You can turn an old machine with two NIC cards, a floppy disk drive (and disk) with no hard drive into a "hardware" firewall.
    You would also be ill-advised to attempt to do so. Floppies are way too unreliable to be used in this fashion (the drives are generally OK, it is the media that lets them down). You would be better off with a USB or a small hard drive.

This would be particularly true if you want to handle logging on the firewall box itself? You can only get so much onto 1.44Mb.

Has any1 tried out the USB firewalls that are available?