NBC reporter + DEFCON == Minutes of fun!! :P

Thread: NBC reporter + DEFCON == Minutes of fun!! :P

NBC reporter + DEFCON == Minutes of fun!! :P

Not sure if this has already been posted here or not, but I'm pretty sure it would fall under Tech Humor.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08...ses_muckraker/

And a link to a video (WARNING: I haven't seen the video, as I'm stuck on dialup for the rest of my life, apparently):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

Well, I'm not sure if it belongs here or not, but I found it humorous.

( BTW, the video is not really worth watching, except to see she can't find her way out of the parking lot. )

Questions that raised in my mind:

Do the organizers really believe they have Constitutionally protected rights of privacy in such a public venue? ( obviously not, they are aware of the Feds routine infiltration. )

Does the Press believe that Civil law and personal privacy issues not pertain to them; do they think the First Amendment covers that as well? ( obviously, they do! )

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, will be shown from the alleged "hidden camera."
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

lol she was nearly breaking out in tears while walking/running to her car.

Maybe the station will not advertise what they are going to do for weeks before the event next time?
    Despite the unusual scrutiny Madigan received - and the fact that her picture and alleged plan had been posted on Wired and other publications for hours prior to her outing - the producer never suspected her cover was blown, said Priest.
    Dumb Dumb Dumb

Hmmmm,

Yes I saw that and thought that the show's ratings must be sliding?

Do the organizers really believe they have Constitutionally protected rights of privacy in such a public venue? ( obviously not, they are aware of the Feds routine infiltration. )
    IKnowNot, I don't think that it is a "privacy" thing. Over here you go to any public venue and you will find that "the management reserve the right............" that covers refusing admission, throwing you out, enforcing a dress code and so on. It may be public, but they can make the rules........a bit like a EULA?

Photography is prohibited in many places that are open to the public, as are eating and drinking.

To my mind this is a cheap publicity stunt, quite possibly with the complicity of the venue's organisers........................I never pass up the opportunity of a conspiracy theory

Hell, the Press attend DEFCON and have done so for years. It is publicity, and it sure as hell isn't a charity event.

"Interview a 13 year old hacker"..................... hmm, why spend a hundred bucks or whatever to do that............... you can find enough skiddiots on IRC every day of the week?

The whole thing stinks of a set-up to me.
    Last edited by nihil; August 5th, 2007 at 12:20 PM.

I don't think that it is a "privacy" thing.
    Actually, in my weird way, I was crediting the organizers for their understanding of the situation. It was the press I was criticizing.

There were certain rules in place which they chose to ignore, even after being given more then one chance to correct.

Ironic that they were trying to get a story about people who may have broken the rules by breaking the rules
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes