Thread: Asus beep codes

********** |ceWriterguy

Asus beep codes

Ok, so yesterday my pretty lil nvidia 7800 xfx gave up its ghost along with that acrid white smoke we hardware junkies know so well. It happened on boot and was accompanied by that lovely Asus long-short-short beep code indicating a video issue.

In troubleshooting and attempting to find out *why* my card fried, I attempted a bench test without changing any hardware configuration whatsoever. This time on powerup I heard 5 short beeps - anyone know what this code is?

For system specs - it's a Velocity Micro Gamer's Edge and all available on the net - last year's model - with only 1 change, that being ram is maxxed to 4gigs, all matching by same manufacturer.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

|3lack|ce old chap, you have been away for far too long and have started to learn prodigal habits from your current company?

When the magic smoke appears, you strip everything and test it independently. You do not attempt to power up again.

Asus, as it happens, do motherboards and NOT BIOS. I would guess that you have Award BIOS.

5 beeps means that the Main BIOS is corrupted or stuffed and that you need to use the secondary one.

In my opinion you now have a dead MoBo and possibly processor. You already know about the video card.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Ah! but today there's an update - being you're my only responder from a forum which used to fill quite quickly with usable responses in lieu of 'you screwed up' posts I shall enlighten you... Thanks for actually answering my question however; Bios shall be reflashed or replaced,j (in truth it's long overdue for an update anyway) and yes it's award.

All is well with my system - discovered after replacing said vidcard with a known good one - so zero collateral damage and yes, I got lucky on that one but asus mobos are known to be pretty tough and the box is still warranted so I had my bets hedged properly. Having known me for some years now I'd have guessed you'd know I'm a belt-and-suspenders type of technician.

Old vidcard is now back in the box as it should be and it's awaiting transit to the place where it was purchased for them to effect repairs, as well as produce further testing on associated cards/chipsets as is in their contract. All will be performed succesfully while I wait, or all hell will break loose at said point of purchase ending in full box replacement. At either outcome I'm back up and running this afternoon at the latest.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Hi, glad to hear it is working OK.

and yes, I got lucky on that one but asus mobos are known to be pretty tough
    Well, I must admit that I haven't had a "smoker" for a long while, and certainly not one of these fancy new cards.

Thinking on it some more what probably saved you from damage is the fact that the video card draws its power independently from the PSU?

Good Luck.
    Last edited by nihil; August 7th, 2007 at 01:49 PM.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Precisely. Unfortunately for me the one that replaced it doesn't - so next time I'll take more care..