Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What the..?!

Hi Undies~, y'know that was my first reaction, as it shows a bit too much hardware detail for a level one tekkie?............... maybe they have had several complaints?

When I followed that link and saw the RTC battery, I can see that it is a rechargeable lithium job. I remember old Toshiba 486s like that. You had the main battery at about 12v, another one at 7.2v and the CMOS/RTC at 3v.

So you get these guys turning up in pubs "hey I've got this great laptop only it needs a new battery" so I ask its specs........... doesn't know.........doesn't work. Hmmmm: Main battery £45-70, auxilliary battery £40-45 and the little one is around £20............... I don't think so............. I would generally either be given them, swap them for an old PI desktop (generally much better for what their kids wanted to do) or get them for the price of a few beers.

A good boozing crony just happened to be a director of the UK subsidiary of a not unheard of German battery manufacturer.......... he would get them made by apprentices or whatever? ........... I would provide a few refurbs to feed back into the food chain............ it worked really well

I can relate to site voltage.............. hell it is meant to run jackhammers not laptops. Sure you can get the stuff for computer disaster recovery units/suites that is just fine, but what Project Manager is having the extra cost of that on his budget?

Hey, what outfit are you with? my missus was with LendLease

ddddc, that is pretty common with desktops and some brands. Others have recargeable devices which are much more expensive. I think that the cheapest I saw was around $24 (USD).

I guess I suspect:

1. A dud battery
    2. Poor installation
    3. Bad connectivity
    4. Bad MoBo

Now, this thing plugs in with two wires so I don't think that it is dry joints........... and I certainly would not recommend taking a soldering gun or torch near a lithium battery

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    There you go with that "dry joint" stuff again, probably spell "color" wrong too.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Hell's teeth son, I wuz tort Inglish by HP................ an there ain't no cold joints in an HP lappy