Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a server

Hybrid View

Building a server

Looking to build a server to host a website on . Thus I know about building a PC, I have never build a server but would like to have a go.

Does anyone know the components of a typical server as you would fine in a datacenter ?

Also where are the best places to by components for building a server ? on the net

thanks

oh iv got about $3000 to spend on components

For 3 grand, you should go buy a server from Dell, HP, or IBM.

Well,

I look at things this way: there are different types of server functionality (UK/European view here):

1. Fileserver
    2. Applications server
    3. Mailserver
    4. Terminal Server
    5. Webserver

OK, those are operational functions not physical entities, as one physical device can perform more than one function.

esi1, my friend, I am asking you to consider this as a project, rather than a simple purchase or construction exercise? please look at your functionality requirements/specification before the hardware.

From a hardware viewpoint, I guess that you need to think redundancy?

So, you need multi PS, RAID 1 or 5, redundant power supply, UPS, and all that?

Please call back

Data center - you will want multi cpu/core, lots of memory, lots of space and probably a raid 5.

Quote Originally Posted by oofki
    Data center - you will want multi cpu/core, lots of memory, lots of space and probably a raid 5.
    You forgot dual hot-swappable power supplies

I keep coming accross mention of the idea of having 2 raids in a server. One to handle the OS and one to handle the data. Don't forget the most expensive bit - a decent tape drive. Ideally you want a tape big enough to back up the entire server every day.

There are other things to consider as well. Do you want a tower or a rack mount? tower will be cheaper, but I would recomend a rack mount if you intend to expand. A single tower server is one thing, having 4 on the floor is another.

Then what about AC. A single server can easily put out 1kW of heat. Add in a person and a couple PCs and that can be one warm room very quickly.

Some of this is probably beyond what you will need, but as I say - if you want to expand you will need to think about it. Oh, and don't forget to allow for software lisences.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

I see just about everyone that my company services use a mirror for the OS and RAID5, with a hot spare configured, as well as a decent tape drive. I like the Compaq DL380G4, which can house up to 6 SCSI hdd's, and are usually 2 proc systems, Xeon dual core, and in G#'s and higher, at least 2.8GHz.

Tim

From the build of the admin server at work theres actually a bonus to using quad core chips if you run SQL. Apparently SQL is liscenced based on number of chips in your system not core. Therefore a single quad core chip costs half as much as two single core chips. Or something, its been a while since we discussed the spec I only half remember.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

I personally have a Compaq Proliant at home but I've never used the tape backup but opt to using a DVD Burner instead.

What would be the benefit of using a Tape instead of a DVD? Isn't data access quicker on a DVD.

I never really looked into this and this thread made me curious since several mentioned the tape backup.