Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a server

Just how big can a tape get? 100GBs?

What about the restore speed? If you had to restore a whole system would it be as quick via Tape as DVD?

I guess it's hard to get a scope of view of it when my little database is 232MB

AOs Resident Troll
    Depends on how much data you are talking about?

I use both tape and USB drives

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Need opinion too please,

I have 2 computers, old Compact server ( I haven't used it to run any server) and my brand a new game desktop.
    And this is the specs:

COMPACT DL380 Server:

2x PIII 1.4GHz CPUs
    2GB Registered ECC RAM
    2x 18GB 15k Ultra3 Hard disks
    Smart 5i RAID Controller

My game desktop computer , DX10 Core 2 Quad 2.4GBX4 4GB-Ram :

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GX4 2x4Mb Quad Core 1066M LGA775
    Motherboard: Inter 965 Chipset , Core 2 Quad support
    RAM: 4GB DDR2-667
    Hard Drive: 500GB Western Digital/Seagate SATA-2 SE 7200rpm (250GBX2 )
    Video Card: Geforce 8800GTS 320MB PCI-E DDR3 DX10 SUPPORT HDTV SLI

I need the computer that can running apache,mail,sql server running 24 hours from my bedroom.

Any opinion? for better home server computer...

some of you guys are really divulging out of scope, for instance aardpsymon where the hell does heat management come in? (more importantly how did you arrive at that figure of 1000 joules per second? that isn't fact) and why do you assume the guy's question is flawed nihil?? he simply wants to know what components are found in a typical server in a data center end of story.
    And i would only assume that the reason he didn't google it is because he needs somewhere to turn back to easily incase he gets stuck or shizzer hits the fan.

So without the bull crap here it is - raid 5 or 1, rundant PSU, dual Xeon or other 64bit CPU's, 2x1000meg NIC, SCSI adapters (for backups more than one. after all this is a datacenter server we r talkin about). Usually a V4 drive is entry level. Please note this is not comprehensive any one fell differently by all means mention the missing essential COMPONENTS of a TYPICAL SERVER of a DATACENTER
    Last edited by cybersamurai; August 14th, 2007 at 08:16 AM.
    see the sarcasim in my smile ????

AOs Resident Troll
    Well Cybersamerai

Hardware is all gonna depend on what OS the server is going to be running, what applications, and how many users etc

so nihil is right is asking for more info...the question is flawed as it is not detailed enough...the question is too broad

Hence the responses

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

and why do you assume the guy's question is flawed nihil??
    Hey, cybersamurai old chap, I am not criticising in the slightest........ just trying to find out a bit more so as to give a better answer?

The question is never flawed, but my answer might be?

I am afraid that I have given bad advice in the past, because I didn't ask the right questions........... MLF knows that

Quote Originally Posted by oofki
    Data center - you will want multi cpu/core, lots of memory, lots of space and probably a raid 5.
    You forgot dual hot-swappable power supplies

Since this is a forum, cybersamurai, more than ONE person can answer a question---EVERYONE gives input, and the one asking the question can take all the info and get good tips from EVERYONE'S collective answers. Nobody gives "incorrect" answers to this---people are speaking from experience and trying to help. If I said I found one with a tomato garden in it, then esi1 would probably think that he would NOT want a tomato garden in the server he's building...does that make MY answer wrong? No matter what you think, it is NOT all about YOU! Like Forrest Gump says, that's all I have to say about that.

Tim

This question is to varied to provide a proper answer without knowing more. I like the approach of looking at the requirements and providing the hardware to meet those requirements. I can think of plenty of machines running in datacenters that for whatever reason don't require a high level of redundancy and don't have redundancy built in. Not common, but it does happen based on need...

for instance aardpsymon where the hell does heat management come in?
    Start dealing with a datacenter that is over 50k square feet with over 5,000 servers and heat management becomes a huge deal. He has no clue what kind of environment the OP is in, so talking about heat management for servers is an important aspect of proper management of a server environment.

I have servers that require 4 HBA's, 5 NICs, 8 Internal 15k RPM SCSI drives, as well as two external fiber networks. One for backup and one for SAN. SAN enclosures requirements can get even crazier depending on the IOPS and overall system load. Point being that what defines a minimum server is the requirements for whatever is going to be running on that server. There is no right or wrong answer.

As far as the question around tape drives it depends on what kind of tape drive you are using. LTO-2 drives can store 200GB and approach 1.8GB/min. Far faster than you can get with a dvd drive. LTO-6 drives can store 3.2TB and approach 16.2GB/minute. We usually require atleast LTO-2 drives for machines with very large databases. My new environment will have dramatically larger databases than anything I've backed up before and we will probably be using atleast LTO-3 or 4 tapes along with extremely large disk enclosures dedicated to VSS snapshots.

Heat management can be a big deal, and it does not need to be 50K sq ft for it to come into play. My company supports offices in cramped spaces, and they have like 20 DL360's in one rack---now THAT room can get hot! They do have A/C in there...
    As for tape drives, whatever you do, do NOT get an Exabyte!
    As for the brand of server, I am particular about Sun, especialy the Sunfire V880---I also like Alphas.
    That is yet another consideration---OS. If you are familiar with Solaris (UNIX), then I would definitely consider a Sun. If you only know Windows, then I prefer HP/Compaq servers, especially the DL series (I like the 380's, for RAID0+1 and RAID5---they hold 6 SCSI drives).

Tim