"Understanding the Solaris Kernel"?

Thread: "Understanding the Solaris Kernel"?

"Understanding the Solaris Kernel"?

Hello all,

I am studying operating systems, and I have studied thus far Tanenbaum's and Woodhull's Operating Systems: Design and Implementation, McKusick and Neville-Neil's The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System: Version 5.2, and Understanding the Linux Kernel 3d Edition.

I am starting to get the hang of things but I would like to study up more on the Solaris kernel...are there any books out there that is like the "Understanding the Linux Kernel" for Solaris? I have looked at Solaris 10: The Complete Reference but it appears to be more for System administrators than Solaris Kernel Hackers

Any reference to a book or website (technical paper, article, blah blah blah) would be greatly appreciated
    "The Texan turned out to be good-natured, generous and likeable. In three days no one could stand him." Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

Buddies? I have no buddies...

Give the BSD daemon some love (proud FreeBSD user)

Just Another Geek
    "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System" and "The Design of the UNIX Operating System." should be a good read for you.

Mind you.. Solaris is closed source (except OpenSolaris)..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by SirDice
    "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System" and "The Design of the UNIX Operating System." should be a good read for you.
    Thanks, I've heard of The Design of the UNIX Operating System, but I assumed that The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System was essentially McKusick and Neville-Neil's The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System. Am I mistaken?

Mind you.. Solaris is closed source (except OpenSolaris)..
    And, again I assume that, OpenSolaris has been released too recently to be analyzed by a book?

Quote Originally Posted by KorpDeath
    This helped slightly, it gave me a book or two to read (Solaris Internals: Core Kernel Architecture by McDougall and Mauro and Solaris Internals).
    "The Texan turned out to be good-natured, generous and likeable. In three days no one could stand him." Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

Just Another Geek
    IIRC "The Design of the UNIX Operating System" is about System V Release 4 (SVR4) on which Solaris is based. 4.4BSD is the base of *bsd and the 'old' SunOS.

And you're probably right about OpenSolaris being released very recently but I expect to see more on that in the near future.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirDice
    IIRC "The Design of the UNIX Operating System" is about System V Release 4 (SVR4) on which Solaris is based. 4.4BSD is the base of *bsd and the 'old' SunOS.
    This is kinda correct...according to the Design and Implementation of the BSD 4.4 OS, figure 1.2, Solaris 2 is derived from System V Release 4.

There is also a modern Unix v 6 clone called xv6 used by MIT in one of its courses.

It's clean code that's neat to study. It compiles on modern and runs on home PCs (instructions). I thought anyone who is reading this may be interested.