Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hang ups on file server

Exclamation Hang ups on file server

So here is what is going on. When trying to access the file server on our network the folder will pop up that your trying to access but will basically lock up your computer for minute (more like 15 seconds). The folder will finally populate with the files, folders, etc and you can browse around without much if any delay.

Some computers never have this problem, but I am not sure what is so different about them as almost all computers in our office have the same configuration with hardware and software and all have Windows XP SP2.

I have tried to figure out if it is a firewall issue, anti-virus, network, etc. But still nothing seems to come together as consistent for why this is happening.

I want to blame our network, but then why would certain machines never experience this problem and others have it happen at least once a day? Even computers that are on the same switch as the file server (such as the boss's computer) experience this stop and go symptom.

Are there any settings in Windows or perhaps on the server that will delay your browsing of network folders?

I also noticed on the affected computers that it takes a long time to open a link to a folder on the file server that is sent in an email. The system will start to open the folder, then halts and basically stops responding and about 15 seconds later your back to normal again and everything moves quickly.

I am really out of ideas as to its cause...can anyone help or had similar issues with a file server or just any network browsing in general?
    Last edited by Blunted One; August 16th, 2007 at 11:05 PM.
    It's not a war on drugs it's a war against personal freedoms!

Hmmm,

Is there any consistency with which switch/cable they are attached to?

I also noticed on the affected computers that it takes a long time to open a link to a folder on the file server that is sent in an email. The system will start to open the folder, then halts and basically stops responding and about 15 seconds later your back to normal again and everything moves quickly.
    That could be antivirus?

AOs Resident Troll
    A bad switch will cause intermitent problems...

What is the OS of the server\clients??

Are they on the same SP\patch level??

How many switches do you have...and how are they connected to eachother??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Blunted One
    Are there any settings in Windows or perhaps on the server that will delay your browsing of network folders?
    Check if the workstation(s) and server(s) can resolve everything correctly. WINS and/or DNS and as a last resort it'll broadcast the name to get an IP. These delays are almost always because of problems resolving hostnames to IP addresses (or vise-versa). Somehow Windows is unable to do anything else in the meantime and it'll look like it's locked up.
    Last edited by SirDice; August 17th, 2007 at 03:51 PM.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

EUREKA!!!!

This is caused by a service in Windows XP.

So after a long amount of time searching the net and talking to a ton of M$ techs from India I finally came across the solution (so far it has worked on a number of machines).

There is a service that runs in Windows (one of the many that does next to nothing or so it seems) that is called WebClient that when browsing any network resource can (not always) cause a lag and locks up your computer temporarily while it tries to connect to the network resource you requested.

The reason this service causes this delay is because as soon as you try to connect to a file on the server this service for some odd reason tries to connect through port 80 (http)…this is obviously wrong and after a short amount of time (15 seconds or so) it realizes this is not the correct way to connect to the server and switches to port 445 which is the SMB protocol (server message block), which is the protocol for sharing files, printers, etc.

By disabling this WebClient service it no longer tries to connect through this port when connecting to a machine on our network. Thereby removing the hang up problem many had been experiencing.

AOs Resident Troll
    It appears XP SP1 fixes this??

Method 1: Install the latest Windows XP service pack
    To verify that you have Windows XP SP1 installed, follow these steps:1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    2. On the General tab, under System, locate the service pack version.
    For more information about how to obtain the latest service pack, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    322389 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/) How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
    MLF

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832161

Hmmmm,

This bit threw me:

Some computers never have this problem, but I am not sure what is so different about them as almost all computers in our office have the same configuration with hardware and software and all have Windows XP SP2.
    It shouldn't be an SP1 issue?
    Last edited by nihil; August 17th, 2007 at 07:05 PM.

It is strange, but this has worked every time. I am not surprised that SP1 or 2 didn't fix this problem, there are always weird quirks with every software and especially anything from M$ (Sybari Spam filter sucks, Office Groove is a POS). Also the server is Win 2003 x64 so maybe that has something to do with it to. But that doesn't really matter cause it is fixed now and everyone at my office is happier.

A few other details is that this solution was found when we restarted the computer in safe mode and the delay went away. I cross referenced what services were running in safe mode vs. regular boot up and there was the needle in the haystack.

Oh and one other thing...I really appreciate the help from the M$ network experts from India who stayed on the phone with me until I repeatedly tested the solution.

I was even interrupted at one point by a lady from the US who said they needed to charge me for any additional help (since the original hotfix they tried didn't do crap)...and I just lost it and went off at that bitch, telling her that they she is trying to charge me to make a quick buck on their POS software which should work just fine, but since it doesn't and since we have all M$ software and are fully licensed (which I told her we have spent thousands every year on M$ products) on every machine in this office that they better shove that fee up their asses and let me continue working toward a solution. I then asked to speak with her supervisor and she hung up. Screw you M$...but thank you India tech support for actually apologizing for that bitch and they even called up their head tech to help with this issue.

I always disliked having to speak to BOB in Calcutta, but this time I was glad not to speak to some money grubbing US M$ support bitch who wouldn't lift a finger to help unless I handed over my credit card. Luckily the guy from India stayed on the line and heard me go off and when she hung up he quickly got back on the phone with me and we found the solution.

HURRAH!!!

AOs Resident Troll
    Well....MS have always waived and refunded my fee if the problem was due to a bug...and with server support...you cant even talk to a tech with out a credit card.

As far as the "bitch" from MS...she was just doing her job and following procedure...

personally .....I am so glad I dont have to deal with a-holes like you on a regular basis

You know...its easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar

MLF

WOW, calling me an a-hole...strong words there friend. Everyone can have a bad experience with someone and I just happen to have had one while working very late last night. It would be nice, not to mention slightly more mature if you just said, "hey glad you got that fixed and it sucks you ran into that trouble...she was probably just following procedure and didn't mean to piss you off".

Of course I guess coming on this thread and calling me an a-hole works well too. Thanks for that...and personally... I have always appreciated having the help of people on here like yourself...you guys are a great resource and help me find answers to a lot of questions

I am sure this lady was just doing her job, but she went about it in the wrong manner, cutting me off while I am talking to the tech support and saying that I have to pay $250 for continued support is not the best "procedure"...perhaps she should have changed up her attitude a bit...maybe she needs to take your advice about not using "vinegar".

I didn't know they would refund the money (she didn't tell me that there was any chance it would be), perhaps I just don't deal with M$ enough to know this. My bad I guess.

If I hadn't been using "honey" then I don't think the entire support team from India would have been helping me, along with their head tech (or so they said).