Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your hobbies aside from tech stuff?

Your hobbies aside from tech stuff?

At 32 years of age I am realizing that I have spent my entire adult life sitting behind a keyboard. Eight hours a day at work staring at a monitor and then come home and stare at a monitor. Sleep, wake up and repeat. Although I love computing I feel that I have missed out on a lot of what life has to offer.

So now I am looking to change things. I need to find some hobbies that will get me out of the house and help me take the first steps in actually creating a real life for myself outside of computing.

So I ask here; what are your non-tech related hobbies? What do you do for fun that doesn't involve a computer?

I'm going to make the assumption that drinking wouldn't count as a hobby. Music was my former profession, but I don't do that anymore so that wouldn't count either. I liked to play tennis in my youth, and that's good for getting out of the house. boating is also fun, biking, photography, all these are things I enjoy. Where golf is concerned, which a lot of techies seem to do, I agree with Mark Twain "golf is a good walk, spoiled".

Oh, and welcome to the forum

Hmmm,

Perhaps one way of approaching this is to ask yourself what sort of things you like watching on TV? It may give an idea of your basic interests?

You might like to consider:

Nature/Wildlife/Birdwatching
    Cycling/hiking
    Photography
    Fishing
    Archery
    Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    Oh, and welcome to the forum
    Thanks, I used to come here years and years ago. I think it was quite different back then. For one thing I remember a wallpaper section, I don't know why I remember that though

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Perhaps one way of approaching this is to ask yourself what sort of things you like watching on TV? It may give an idea of your basic interests?
    Well, I don't own a TV set anymore but when I did the only thing that I really watched were these Mexican soap operas that came on the Spanish channel at like 9:00 at night. These soap operas had the hottest chicks in them, they were amazing. I could never understand what they were saying but they were very attractive and wore very tight revealing clothing.

I don't know what that says about me or what my interests are. I guess that it might mean that I need to take up learning Spanish as a hobby and then take a trip down to Mexico and find me a hot senorita'?

Quote Originally Posted by PHX602
    I guess that it might mean that I need to take up learning Spanish as a hobby and then take a trip down to Mexico and find me a hot senorita'?
    New York, California, Florida or Texas would do just as well.

This all depends on where you are from. I am from Pennsylvaina, so I can easily go hunting, fishing; i recently got into white water kayaking, which is insanely awesome; sailing, waterskiing, snowskiing or boarding, and rock climbing in the summer.

Kayaking doesn't really require you to be extremely fit, but its hard to do if you're overweight. It does build muscles fast, so it continually becomes easier to do, and you get more fit at the same time. I absolutely love it, and almost everyone that ive met that kayaks is very nice on the river, because you have to be, or else someone will get hurt, so its like everyone watches everyone elses back, which encourages me to get even more into the sport.

[edit] and believe it or not, you're never too old to kayak; ive seen people on the river that are in their 70s.
    Last edited by metguru; August 20th, 2007 at 12:30 AM.

Cooking

When I'm not working or sitting at home on the computer (which isn't often; generally only on the weekends) I love to cook.

Try http://www.visualrecipes.com .

I just made the chili that's on the front page today. Good stuff.

O

I just realized that involves a computer, checking websites and such. Oh well. But hey, a walk to the grocery store to get your ingredients and the actual counter work to get your dishes created doesn't.
    Last edited by Ouroboros; August 20th, 2007 at 01:57 AM.
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Its boating for me (if the seas are nice), other than that I play league sports, go downtown and party, and bike to the beach. Lots to do here.

Sailing, especially. Power boating I can do without. Too noisy

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    you could take your laptop with you
    wireless is EVERYWHERE now

I could suggest 'surfing'
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone