Thread: Hi.. again.. :)

Smile Hi.. again.. :)

Okay, introduction...

I am a 28 year old self-employed IT Consultant, working primarily in Linux environments now (I started out with a few Windows Certificates back in 2001) mostly hosting secure spam/virus free e-mail for Danish business clients.

My journey started back in 2000 I think, when I was playing CS in a local Netcafe, they needed their own gameserver so I helped them inchange for free play time Then later on, when ADSL arrived, I got my own server, running 2000 Server with ISS, PHP and MySQL.. With this system I started offering free webmail and website hosting, mostly to learn about hosting environments and security, I actually did quite good considering it was on a P2-500mhz with 256mb ram and 20Gb disk on a 2048/512 kb/sec connection, when I peaked I had 1200 free mail clients and a little bit over 300 websites running on my system, I later shutdown the whole project and forgot about the domain for a few years, until now (hence the reason I am here, I just installed the domain and got a e-mail from AO in the catch-all mailbox) I have just bought a dedicated server in Germany, installed linux / directadmin and I am considering opening a free e-mail / website service again.. The main reason would be to promote my site and get paying customers.

Over the last few years, more and more hosting companies have spawned, some better than other and everyone has their own twist, what I would like to offer is Ruby on Rails (RoR) solutions as this is not a fully satisfied marked yet.. and with my server provider I have a good solid foundation for offering web hosting in all shapes and sizes.

But. if everything fails, I still have my consultant business where most of my income come from, so this hosting thing, well its just a hobby / side business and nothing I would depend on for an actual income, atleast not for now..

I hope to learn something here on AO and of-course help others with various things, as I am somewhat of an IT Expert in many ways :P (Atleast, that's what google claims when you find my company)
    Missing em ol BBS' days!
    Virtus - Splashgame.org

Welcome back! (where ya been?)

Yea well.. I musth ave forgotten about AO because of a reformat (w/o saving bookmarks) or something like that.. I cant realy remember. but.. I am back
    Missing em ol BBS' days!
    Virtus - Splashgame.org

Well welcome back. Things have changed a fair amount, but we hopes it's still useful (and maybe some fun too?).

Welcome back.