Thread: Antivirus for Exchange 2007, BlackBerry, Cisco Unity

Antivirus for Exchange 2007, BlackBerry, Cisco Unity

Can anyone recommend Antivirus for Exchange 2007, BlackBerry Enterprise 4.1.4 and Cisco Unity 5?

I am currently using symantec corportate for clients. In the past, we didn't install AV on the servers becuase the clients are all protected and emails were being scanned by our relay before they hit our mail server. We didn't have beefy hardware and didn't want the servers bogging down. However, now we need to be *sure* that viruses don't hit any one of those servers...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AOs Resident Troll
    I have heard excellent things about Panda...

They also have an upgrade path for existing Symantec CE users....close to the same cost of renewal of your Symantec licenses...or they did.

I am gonna switch when I reinstall\upgrade my server....

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

For 2007 I would recommend either Trendmicro Scanmail or MS Forefront.

As you can load multiple scan engines into forefront I think that is the best solution and gives nearly bullet proof performance in terms of new threats.

What do you mean by BES virus scanning? Do you mean on the handheld or on the bes server itself? Virus scanning on the exchange server should be enough to protect email flowing out through through the handheld.

To protect the bes handheld use a security policy that does not allow the user to install software. That will prevent anything from infecting the handheld.

I wasn't sure if the BES server should have virus scanning software. I am using security policies on the hand helds and users can't install software.

Cisco recommends to run AV on the Unity server...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Network Associates Groupshield has always worked well for us, but we're still using Exchange 2003.

Before I contracted with MX Logic, I used Trendmicro's Scanmail on my exchange servers. I always added a gig of ram to the specs. All boxes were dual procs and CPU usage was always around 50%.

perhaps 15,000 messages per day

Once I dropped scanmail, CPU usage went to 20-25 % but of course messages dropped to 7 - 10k per day.

Hope that helps
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

I've used Panda which was very good - but can cause probs when uninstalling or upgrading, plus most of their better tech support people are spanish speaking which can cause probs for those who don't speak the language.

Also used McAfee/Symantec - don't like them!!!!

Currently using Sophos which includes Pure Message for AntiSpam.
    Very good product.

I have a ton of experience with groupshield and I hate it. Of course my experience is on boxes with 4k-7k users and several hundred thousand emails per day per server.

CPU usage of your scanner will depend on what kind of options you have enabled. For instance you can specify the number of threads that the VSAPI can call up at any one time. More threads means more CPU use. If you use things like heuristic scanning the CPU usage goes up. The best way to keep AV from using up a lot of CPU is to block attachment types that are used heavily by virii. We block almost all tier1 file types.

I would definitely run file level virus scanning on your bes server. But I'm not aware of any product that will scan messages as they flow through the BES server. Mainly because the messages are encrypted and to insure security the only thing that should be able to unencrypt the messages is the receiving handheld.

I'll have to second the Trend Micro suggestion... when I was a SysAdmin we had that... previously where I'd worked we'd had CA....

TrendMicro plays really well with Exchange and it's just plain kick-ass AV