Thread: Hurricanes

Hurricanes

Well Dean has finally reached his Mexican holiday resort?

He came ashore in the Yucatan Penninsula as a category 5 (Safir-Simpson scale) and looks to be a Cat 2 when he comes out the other side! ............ pass throughs are fairly unusual in themselves?

The last radiosonde measurements indicated an average windspeed of 178 nautical miles per hour over the last 150 metres of recording. I can't be bothered, but I guess that is about 185mph when the Highway Patrol haul you before a judge?

NOAA are forecasting a bad season folks. Those interested can read more here:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh...l/210900.shtml

I would also suggest going back to the main page and bookmarking it for future reference. Those with kids old enough might like it as an educational site? Just follow the links down the left hand side

Whilst I am ranting about one of my personal interests, make a link to this site as well?

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

The Mt. St. Helens volcano site.............. they have fixed the "fly's leg" on the original volcano cam mounting, and we now have a new high definition camera.

Not much to do with computer security huh?

Well............. would your installation withstand a volcanic erruption or a cat 5 hurricane?

enjoy

hey nihil,

we have been using the noaa website for shipping industry for some time now........

they not only have hurricane predictions but also for ice, icebergs and their movements. we get charts for wind speeds, wave heights, weather now, weather in 24 and 48 hours. all this information is used when one is planning passage from say spain to america or canada.

one has to ensure that one does not run into any bad or adverse weather.

not only that, we use the water current speeds to our advantage to make better time across the oceans.

then, moreover we have to read these damn charts for our exams also

cheers
    bagggi
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

The season's starting off slow compared to '05. So far, one hurricane
    for '07 to the four by this time in '05. Today is the 2nd anniversary of
    Katrina's hit on Florida. We'd already seen three other hurricanes previously
    by this time in '05: Dennis, Emily, and Irene.

As hot as it's been in the eastern US this summer , I'd think there's plenty
    of fuel for the fire in the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico. A couple of
    'canes and things should cool off nicely
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

I guess it is an issue of quality rather than quantity? Dean was a class 5, and it was fortunate that it hit the relatively low populated Yucatan Peninsula?

It only takes one big one

Yeah, Dean was the 3rd most powerful hurricane since tracking
    began in the 1850's based on barometric pressure. Think it did
    quite a number on the Yucatan I do believe. Leveled much of
    the jungle there.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Worst hurricane season was 2004 espically on friday the 13th of august 2004, youtube hurricane charlie and andrew <---in 1992

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Well............. would your installation withstand a volcanic erruption or a cat 5 hurricane?
    Well, having lived in south Florida my whole life, and running a 24/7 no down time allowed per UL network, I can answer with a resounding YES. (at least the hurricane part)

Back when Wilma slammed us, my network here in south florida had no power for almost 2 weeks. Yet we were still operating on back up generators and UPS systems during the entire two weeks. The only problem we did have was an outage of one of our internet providers because the CO's generator ran out of fuel. The system detected this and switched all traffic to one of our many backup providers located at a different CO. (one with power)

Beyond that though, the hardest thing getting through was securing the needed propane for our 450KW and 750KW generators. At the time we had a tank that could last 3 days per fill. We have since upgraded to a 7 day per fill tank, and signed a contract ensuring us fuel in times of emergencies like that.

It was definetly an eye opening experience, and I am happy to say that our systems held up just as planned.

Although not needed, we are able to also divert all services to a sister office we have in Chicago. So even if the last straw were pulled (ie no more propane) we can still move all services out of South Florida, to Chicago, almost seamlessly.

We got very close to that while waiting for fuel. We were on day 3, and had not heard from the propane company at all. We thought we were screwed an were preparing to move all services. Luckily the propane truck showed up and continued to show up for the duration of the power outages.

Propane is quite the commodity during a hurricane.

-xmad