Thread: Product Key and COA for Auditing

Product Key and COA for Auditing

Hi Guys

Just wanted to know is it possible to convert a product key into COA Key.

The reason I ask I want to compile an audit using software. Don't know what I am going to use yet.. Well I was thinking its a waste of time getting software to audit my computers if it only logs the product key and not the COA, unless I can convert it to a COA Code.

So I was wondering to I need manually audit my machines or can I convert the product key to the orginal COA Code - If not would Microsoft be able to do this for me. As I have had a incident recently in which the COA was damaged. So for safety purposes I don't want someone damaging the COA and then I can't reinstall Windows.

Thx
    ZL

The COA key can be extracted from a PC. There are plenty of key viewers available. I don't know of any way to convert the product key to COA key.

Hmmm, I am slightly confused here?

The Certificate Of Authenticity (COA) is a sticky label that is supposed to be attached to the outside of the computer.

This label has a Product Key on it.

There is no such thing as a "COA Key".

Are we referring to the "Activation Code" that is derived from the Product Key?

Maybe some sort of asset management system that will link the Product Key to the hardware is what you are looking for?

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    I think he is referring to the Product ID?

i.e. 15895-OEM-0001402-56391

if so go here:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Tool is freeware and will do both Windows and Office PIDs to Keys
    Last edited by 576869746568617; August 22nd, 2007 at 07:36 PM.
    Windows 9x: n. A collection of 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor. Written by a 2 bit company that can\'t stand 1 bit of competition.

I used to use the software aida32 enterprise which can be found @
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download183.html

Back then, I didn't have any way to audit workstations, so this stuff was great! I've found the enterprise verison to be pretty useful for a logon script with switches.... output the file to wherever you want, or even import it into some database. I created a bunch of scripts to dump the latest report in a web directory and I could just browse the reports through an index page I created. It wasn't that good for reporting, but good enough for auditors.

That software is no longer being developed under that name. They now produce a product called everest. Their pricing looks pretty reasonable. http://www.lavalys.com/products/over...&ps=CE&lang=en

The IT Helpdesk/Asset Management software that we use also has this capability. Though, recenlty I could not recommend them due to their latest release and the upgrade nightmare I went through...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

You can still get the "free" version of Everest from here.. http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-16369.html
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Thanks guys the Nirsoft was exactly what I wanted. Cheers

Nikhil, sorry I guess you call it the activation code. I wanted the product key that is on COA without having to go directly to the workstation.

Unfortunately it appears I will need to audit the machines directly as the product key doesn't correspond with the COA on top of the machine. I gather the OEM's must just roll images using the same Product key like in a corporate environment.

However the tools provide here should still come in handy
    Last edited by Zorolord; August 24th, 2007 at 11:16 AM.

Hi Zorolord,

Here is a new tool I have just come across:

http://www.auslogics.com/

The systems information tool is the one that might interest you? You can produce a report in text, HTML or XML then possibly parse that, then consolidate them into a spreadsheet or RDB?

It gives you the Product ID, Product Key and the workstation ID.

Yes, as far as I know, OEMs use a blanket key, rather like the corporate licence key. The label on the machine will relate to the CD that they pack with the machine, but will only match if you reinstall and reactivate?