Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weird freezing problem

Hybrid View

weird freezing problem

alright so this problem started a while ago my computer would freeze up and/or restart randomly on me on a fairly regular basis without any similarities with what was runnin or anythin like that at the time. so since i had no idea what was wrong with it i took it to the computer repair office at my college and they told me i had a bad motherboard and it needed to be replaced. so that was no big deal it was still under warranty. i got the new motherboard, just recently put it in and it still freezes up on me. not like a normal freeze though it makes a really odd screeching like sound through the speakers at the same time that it just stops working. anyone had this problem before or have any idea what it might be? i would appreciate any and all suggestions.

A computer that freezes and reboots on its own is usually a processor.

Tim

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c1sc0m4n
    A computer that freezes and reboots on its own is usually a processor.

Tim
    Agreed. Could it be something else? Well of course it could...but I'd check that the heatsink is firmly and evenly in contact with the CPU and also verify that the cooling fan is working. Hopefully one of the two are the culprit.
    Windows 9x: n. A collection of 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor. Written by a 2 bit company that can\'t stand 1 bit of competition.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Get some silver thermal cream. gently separate the heatsink fan assembly from the processor. Clean of the dried paste from the original install, alcohol will do fine. Let it dry, apply a liberal amont of cream on the processor where it contacts the heat sink and put the assembly back together.

Some motherboard mfrs give you system monitoring software that lets you see the processor temp and give you alarms (SOYO does)
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

could be a dodgy psu as well.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

k thx for all the suggestions. as soon as i can get my hands on some thermal glue ill try the heatsink suggestion. but in the meantime would it hurt to run it the way it is now before its fixed or should i keep it off until i fix it?

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Check the MoBo manufacturers website or the media you got with the MoBo.

There might be a system monitor program to check to see if it's overheating. If it is overheating you may overheat it one time too many.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

I would agree with Aardpsymon........... power supply.

apply a liberal amont of cream
    don't................ too much is as bad as too little, and remember that silver paste has a high electrical conductivity, so you certainly don't want it oozing all over the MoBo

at a minimum you should be able to check temperature by rebooting and going into the bios. Keep an eye on it for 5 minutes. If it hits 60 or more theres definately a problem.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

If it's got a weird screaming type noise that randomly starts then i would be replacing your PSU very soon. Sooner the better.

I've had a few psu's start making a squealing type noise randomly i've ignored one PSU and didn't think nothing of it until one day it finally died and took out the compute with it.
    These days if they start making random squealing type noises i turn the machine off straight away and get myself a new psu as soon as i can.