Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something is wrong!

Question Something is wrong!

Running Windows XP Pro, Security is Kaspersky Suite 6.0.2.621

My CPU usage is running high, even when I don't have any active programs - from 50% to 90%. I ran my machine in safe mode, ran Spybot and Ad aware with nothing coming up. I also ran a full Kaspersky scan without any virus results. Not sure what else to do.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? What can I do?

What process is showing up as using the 50% - 90% usage? If you open Task Manager it should tell you which process is eating your CPU cycles.

Have you recently installed a program like Seti@home or Folding@home? Those programs will eat your CPU like there's no tomorrow to crunch those data packets

In Task Manager, select the "Processes" tab. Look at the bottom for true CPU usage. Ignore "System Idle Process"........... it isn't doing anything.

As suggested, look to see what is using the CPU resource.

One thing to look at, is if you have set Kaspersky to do "background scanning". What this does ( and with any other scanning software) is progressively scan your system using idle resources. As mentioned, SETI does something similar to this, as does Folding @ Home"

So long as you are not noticing any performance issues I don't think that you need worry. After all you pay for a processor to run at 100%.

Just check what is using it

Just Another Geek
    Taskmanager would be the first one I check too..

Process Explorer is even better

Also, have a look at your memory usage. Running low on physical memory means the OS needs to swap memory to it's pagefile. This is very CPU intensive.
    Last edited by SirDice; August 25th, 2007 at 12:58 PM.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Under processes, it is the system idle process that's using the resources. This is okay then? I have noticed a slow down, and firefox kept crashing and freezing, so I removed it with the intent to reinstall.

Also, while XP is loading, I notice that the icons next to my clock may be coming up in a different order. Is this something that matters? I get an icon for an internet connection first (with a red X over it when I don't have the modem on - without it when I do - even when I haven't connected to Verizon), then an icon for my sound settings, and then Kaspersky. Is this something related/that I should worry about?

Thanks for helping the still-newbie-girl!

Yes, system idle uses CPU when nothing else is requiring it. If you're having slowdowns, might be time to run clean disk.

Hmmmm

I've already run a disk cleanup before I posted.

Noticed a strange occurrence while running internet explorer - upon load it kept reloading my start page (yahoo.com) I ran my virus scan again and its coming up with nothing.

Any suggestions as to what I can do besides disk cleanup/running spybit & adaware and running a full scan of Kaspersky? I'm so frustrated!

Thanks so much!

Hmmmm,

1. Run disk check
    2. Defragment the disk
    3. Update your scanners and run them in safe mode (F8 on startup)Go into system manager and processes. How much memory usage is showing at the bottom of the box?

Run this online scanner:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

After trying this procedure, when I am online my computer is receiving data constantly even when I don't have a browser open. When I check Kaspersky's Network monitor, tons of IP addresses are showing up - when I try to select them all and copy them here it will only let me select one at a time.

Here's a sampling - data is still being received, and it is freaking me out. Please help!

dynamic-acs-24-239-103-217.zoominternet.net 24.239.103.217 62 bytes 0 bytes
    ool-4574e534.dyn.optonline.net 69.116.229.52 111 bytes 0 bytes
    ip68-100-188-136.dc.dc.cox.net 68.100.188.136 62 bytes 0 bytes
    pool-72-94-203-132.phlapa.east.verizon.net 72.94.203.132 62 bytes 0 bytes
    wx-in-f109.google.com 66.249.83.109 2.2 KB 1.3 KB

Trust johnno's comments.. Nihil is on the ball .. I will add these comments

Being concerned about the connections.. A tool I use is TCPVIEW
    find the info here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/tcpview.mspx

This will help you associate those links with a process in your computer.

Dont be a bit suprised to find that you have a legit prog in your startup that is associated with these links..

This brings up another matter.. What programs are loaded at startup.. HJT is a handy tool to give a run here.. Do a scan - in safe mode - and post the log here..

ALSO.. How much free HDD space do you have remaining? if your free space is less than 25% have a clean up.. get the free space above 30%..
    If needed try CCLeaner..

Trust it helps..

Glenn
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr