Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something is wrong!

Hmmm,

when I am online my computer is receiving data constantly even when I don't have a browser open.
    That is what you should expect. You make a connection to your Internet Service Provider. Your PC and their server remain in constant communication to check that the link is still working and for the server to follow your instructions.

If something goes wrong, and the connection is lost, your PC will pop up a message about it.

What is happening in the example you have given, is that your system is trying to contact Google. That may be your service provider's default?

I don't know what your startup settings are, but try putting your homepage into bookmarks/favourites and setting your homepage to blank.

See what happens then, particularly, does anything try to reset your start page in your browser.

Hi Glenn, how are ya mate!

I checked that route:

Armstrong cable services -> Optimum Online (Cablevision Services) -> Cox Communications -> Verizon -> Google

That might be the cable company's default connection? Obviously you might have a different one in one or more browsers.............. I mostly use FF and go to Google.............. I think that IE takes me to MSN?

My ISP is very basic, it doesn't try to take me anywhere but others Like Tiscali and AOL would take you to their "community page"? Perhaps that cable provider does something similar. I recognise Cox and Verizon but not the two (US) cable co.s

OK Nihil, You are right... sometimes my system too sends and receives some data. Usually,. either the system itself (svchost.exe) is doing something or FF contacts Google (for Phishing info). But TONS of IP addresses? Doesn't it sound weired?

I think something has infected the PC. I do not believe this but yes, it is true. I had to face a virus which I dunno how it got in the system... despite of huge amount of CPU resource allocated to few of my security software. What it did was to infect Winlogon.exe which in turn would start iexplore.exe in background (actually it started with SYSTEM account and so had to be hidden) and eachtime after the start would infect the process! NOw the cleverness is: Winlogon can't be caught! and even if it is caught, nothing can be done! Reinstall is the only way to go! And IE is sending some data regularly.

I would say... if possible, look for coode injection scenarios while runtime, specially the startup!
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

ghostowl said:

when I am online my computer is receiving data constantly even when I don't have a browser open.
    That is the internet today. A quick look at my firewall shows that it has blocked 745,161 access attempts and 80,561 intrusions.