Thread: New Freeware

New Freeware

Hi,

There is a new freeware source I am just looking at:

http://www.auslogics.com/

It is an Australian software house (Sydney, NSW). At the moment you can get a HDD defragmenter, a Registry Defragmenter and a Systems Information analysis tool (for FREE).

I have loaded them onto:

P4 2.26Ghz
    1Gb PC 2700 DDR
    Win 2000 SP4

No problems with installation, and the GUI looks very pretty The defragmenter seems to run a bit faster than my usual Diskeeper lite.

When you look at the Systems Information tool, the "General Information" option only tells you what it does............ you need to use the left hand option bar to run the tests.

And the defragmenter tells me that as Administrator, I do not have sufficient authority to defragment my F:\ drive. Strictly speaking, that is true.............. I would need "Root"

It tells you the serial numbers, product codes and registration keys of stuff you have installed, quite a nice presentation by comparison to other free tools that I use.

All in all I would say they were worth a look and a play.

I don't work for the outfit, in fact I only stumbled across them by accident whilst I was researching free defragmenters

Nice post nihil - cheers, always good to get freebies.

Thanks Wolfe,

Heads Up!.............. watch the Registry Hive Compactor (Registry Defragmenter).......... It wants to "phone home". Personally, I have absolutely no problem with that............... I run all this stuff on "labrats" or "crash test dummies" as some people call them? OK. To test that properly, I am going to have to create data that would be "interesting"; to see if it collected and tried to send it?

It tries to do it straight away, like before I have even connected to the 'Net I am not sure if that is just a Beta version thing? I will ask them.

Funny thing was that the A-squared anti-dialler that I have just installed saw this, and asked me if FireFox was allowed to use my ADSL dial-up connection?

Cheers,

OH! another one............. the dreaded IObit SmartDefrag Beta3.1 I am not sure how it works, but it hasn't crashed this labrat ............. so it must be logically tight. It puts two icons on the taskbar instead of one............ do you think there might be three or more in the morning?

Just finished running both of them on a spare box, they seem to do a nice of enough job.

Noticed that the disc defragmenter didn't suck up much system resources while running, wich is a nice thing to see.

Well I was actually going to defrag my laptop this week so I am currently testing this on one of my spares - will post when I have finished.