Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: creating a CDFS partition, or a cdrom partition

creating a CDFS partition, or a cdrom partition

to put on a USB stick. much like SanDisk did with their U3 drives.
    i have a sandisk u3 disk with the u3 software removed.
    fdisk and cfdisk (i'm using linux and windows) have no options to create a partition as cdrom filesystem (cdfs i believe).
    anyone know how to create a cd-rom partition on a USB drive?
    thanks.

Just Another Geek
    The filesystem on a cd is called ISO-9660.

You can create an iso image using mkisofs.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I am afraid that I don't quite ubderstand what you have done?

AFAIK those smart devices have a small CD partition and a large data partition. This is how they manage to autoboot? Is this the "software" you have removed?

This article may help:

http://cse.msstate.edu/~rwm8/hackingU3/

Good luck

Originally posted here by SirDice
    The filesystem on a cd is called ISO-9660.

You can create an iso image using mkisofs.
    i know how to make iso's
    i want to make a partition on my USB drive that looks like a cd-rom drive to windows and everything else. and if i understand right it has to be a CDFS partition, windows see's it as ISO-9660 partition.
    so using mkisofs wouldn't work, maybe if i wanted to make an ISO to put on a USB i could do that i guess?
    i want a cd partition on it though.

Originally posted here by nihil
    I am afraid that I don't quite ubderstand what you have done?

AFAIK those smart devices have a small CD partition and a large data partition. This is how they manage to autoboot? Is this the "software" you have removed?

This article may help:

http://cse.msstate.edu/~rwm8/hackingU3/

Good luck
    yah i read that the other day on Digg.
    and that would work....except i already removed that partition and its no longer there, and the removal of that partition SanDisk said is irreversible.
    soooo....they created the partition somehow, i want to know how and do it again.
    thanks though.

OK, gotcha (I think ) We have this usb drive and the opening partition has been removed. You want to restore it so that the drive will autostart again?

Have you used any drive recovery software on it yet?

Have you had a look at the SanDisk resource kit or whatever they call it. It is software for creating applications and such for distribution via a usb drive?

Actually, I think that it is the U3 resource kit?

EDIT:

http://www.torosoftware.com/autorun.asp

http://www.simtel.net/product.php%5B...D%5Dfilebasket

Not quite, but as close as I could find

nihil: there is no recovery and the process cannot be redone (says SanDisk on their site when removing the cd-rom partition).
    but...they put a cd-rom partition (cdfs) on the usbkey to make their software (U3 crap) autorun everytime you plugged the usb key in to a computer.
    soooo....i wanna know how to remake that partition (cdfs) on the usb key.
    they did it somehow so i know its not impossible.
    those links are in the right direction...but the AutoRun software has to be installed on EVERY computer you plug the usb key into to autorun the usb key.
    so it kind of defeats the purpose.

there is no recovery and the process cannot be redone (says SanDisk on their site when removing the cd-rom partition).
    You never know until you try. I personally, am sceptical when it comes to manufacturer's claims.

they did it somehow so i know its not impossible
    Intel and AMD program their processors with microcode....................hard drive manufacturers have their hidden partitions? Not impossible, but you won't be able to do it

You must realise that some things are done during the manufacturing/production process, and you can't mess with them afterwards, other than to perhaps obliterate them.

As I said, check out the U3 resource kit. That might let you modify the partition contents, but I don't know about creating one.

It could have something to do with the original programming of the drive.. the chip could have been parrallel programed, rather tha via the serial link.. and certain addresses are not accessable via the serial link..
    the idea had caught my imagination and have been doing a little research.. no joy so far.. most links regarding the U3 software/cdfs formatting etc lead to people wanting to remove the same.. but DT12 you would already be aware of that ..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I am sure that you are right undies~,

I have looked at several "solutions" and they require you to load an application onto the target machine.

Otherwise there is this solution:

http://www.udrw.com/en/tech/index.php

You have to buy their drives and developers' kit, which indicates that it is a hardware/firmware approach.